Should they ban cars/motorcycles that are too loud?

Favorite Answer

There are already noise laws in effect. It seems like little enforcement is taking place. California even has laws stating ANY modification of the exhaust system is illegal, but there sure are a lot of noisy cars running around.

• Anon

Feds have this reg, too. Stamped on every muffler since as far back as '83. Even in NH, with no state stds, Fed Still applies.

Most places already have noise ordinances that ban loud pipes on cars/motorcycles.

I used to not understand why someone would want a loud motorcycle, but then I was riding with my friend who had a Victory Hammer with aftermarket pipes with removable baffles.

He had a guy start to ease into his lane one time, and all he had to do was pull the clutch in and rev twice - and that dude IMMEDIATELY got back in his lane.  I don't think he heard it, as much as he felt it hit his chest...

If it isn't a motorcycle, or a vehicle with at least a V-8, then yes. 6 cylinders and 4- bangers sound like they have a hole in the muffler when they have modified exhaust systems.

• Anon

Some 4's and 2 strokes are very Annoying.

The law is clear on that already.

• adam

there already is a noise DB limit. You can get a ticket equipment violation. However with so many loud cars and motorcycles . Booming bass stereo systems ect the police simply dont have the time to bother. I for one have LOUD motorcycles. I dont crank them up real loud in the morning when I leave. I also cut my motor and drift up to my destinations. I still think though that its not to loud your just to old. Deal with it .

• Anon

Anything under 63 is a "kid:" to me.

• F

Honda Civics and small motorbikes with annoying exhausts, yes.

Subarus, Harleys and all V8s , NO!

Absolutely positively yes megaphone pipes and high noise pipes that accentuate the sound of your engine need to be banned! I get sick to death I've some idiot driving down my road at 2 in the morning with their noisy muffler purposely making as much noise as they can. It's just not necessary if a person has a leak in their muffler okay give them a warning and tell them to fix it. But as for mufflers and megaphone pipes and things that are purposely made to accentuate the noise of your engine on the street no totally unnecessary the world is noisy enough without me having to listen to your motor vehicle

• Anton

Listen a new stock vehicle, car or motorcycle.  Note that stand and talk beside a vehicle, running, with raising your voice.  Those are LEGAL exhaust systems.

ALL of those "too loud" vehicles are already illegal.  They are already banned.

Catch 22:

Unfortunately, YOU cannot ticket them.  Only the cops can stop a "too loud" vehicle, tell the driver that the vehicle is illegal, and have the vehicle towed to the impound.  The cops personal vehicles are overly loud, and refuse to ticket their friends.

• noname4 weeks agoReport

"banned" is not the right term. Illegal, yes, but until caught/ticketed, too bad, its the way the justice system works. Even ticketed, may not fix it, and another will pop up. Law enforcement knows it's like  playing Gopher,  have  Real crooks s to catch. 

• Will

Yes. If engine braking in commercial vehicles is prohibited in most places except for interstates, loud exhausts and motorcycles should be too.

They are already banned if too loud. There are noise limits.

• Fred

No!  Do like Europe: get caught on an altered exhaust motorcycle and loose your motorcycle endorsement for life!