How to name change if Ontarian living in Quebec?

Okay so I'm born in ontario but I moved to Quebec 5 yrs ago and I'm considered a Quebec resident now. In Quebec it's almost impossible to change your name and it's ILLEGAL to change your last name to that of your husbands (yes Google this ) . I want to at least hyphenate my last name with my fiance's once we marry. Since I'm from Ontario and I'm registered in the Ontario government (through my birth certificate and passport and original driver's license all acquired in Ontario) can I apply for a name change in Ontario even if I havent lived in Ontario for the last 12 months, since I'm originally Ontarian from birth? 

Favorite Answer

This is why the current Prime Minister and his wife do not share the same surname, as she cannot, due to them having married in Quebec.

----

Some Canadians might view the PMO directive that Justin Trudeau’s wife be always referred to by her hyphenated surname as a gesture to gender equality. Despite her union to Canada’s most powerful man, Mrs. Grégoire-Trudeau has challenged a paternalistic social construct by opting to keep her maiden name. Because it was 2015, right?

However, what Canada’s “first couple” is actually doing is giving Quebec’s Civil Code the middle finger — and good on them for it.

Since 1981, it has been illegal for women in Quebec to change their surname when they marry. Since Trudeau and Grégoire married in 2005 in Montreal, she has had no right to share names with her husband — or their children, for that matter.

----

It is unlikely that as a Quebec resident, you would have status to apply for a name change in Ontario, and even if you could, it is unlikely that Quebec would recognize such an attempt.

The names are hyphenated in Quebec.

Your former life as Ontario resident is irrelevant. You reside in Quebec & are subject to Quebec's rules, regulations, laws. End of story.

it's ILLEGAL to change your last name to that of your husbands (yes Google this ) .

FALSE wrong not true.

I read the law

I giggle when I google it.

Does not matter where you are FROM you are now IN Quebec.

At some latter time you might move to Manitoba Ontario or Nova Scotia at that time you are then under the laws of your new residence province.

Welcome to the wonderful two legal based law systems used in Canada.

Quebec name change laws go back to their French Civil codes.

• ANDRE L

You clearly know nothing about this topic. The asker is correct, the 1976 Quebec Charter of Rights made women taking the husband's surname ILLEGAL. https://nationalpost.com/opinion/tom-kott-get-quebec-out-of-my-married-name

I was married in Ontario, and the law stated that names could be changed, for free, 30 days before, or after the wedding.  My then wife was born in Alberta, and did not want to give up her birth certificate, so, she just told people her named had changed,  and no-one ever questioned her on it!

If you are living in Quebec, you would have to go through the process there, as you are no longer under the jurisdiction of Ontario.