Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Is my friends dog a mut?

My friend ordered a dna test called embark to find out what breed her dog is but people are saying she wont get accurate results because he's a mut. Is that true? This little guy is 25-30 pounds very energetic/playful his tail curls when it's up. He has very short legs. When his ears are up they are pointy and his eyes are like an orange brown, sometimes green and yellow but we have no idea what he is. We only guess and we think corgi.

Favorite Answer

Yes, this dog is a mutt or mix.  The various dog DNA tests are not always accurate; some are better than others, but having a mix (to START WITH) means you will only get a list of breeds possibly behind the dog.  

If the dog has a long back & short legs it could be part corgi (or IMO, more likely part dachshund) but it does not LOOK LIKE EITHER one in the head type or coloring.  It does not have the ERECT ears of the corgi or its coat type, so i am very doubtful on that.  Looks more like Chihuahua and Dachshund mix, although I could buy into a Basenji mix.  It is the right 'red' color but has too much white on it, to be close to purebred on that.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/basenji/

• John

He's a treeing walker. Coon hound. Looks like a purebred.

He's been bred miniature. Smaller. He's frightened because there's no other dogs around and wants to go home.

Your mean.

• patty

some sort of jack russell

I don't see any Corgi, but there is for certain Jack Russel Terrier in there. Possibly also some Beagle or Dachshund. More likely Beagle though because of the head shape and ears. Also his weight points more towards Beagle.

Source(s): Vet student

Yes its a mutt.   It isnt a purebred anything.   I see beagle mixed with some type of smooth coated terrier, jack russel most likely.

I dont see a lick of corgi.   If the legs are short, dachshund seems FAR more likely than corgi.

These DNA tests have been incorrect on dogs with known heritage.  They a merely a more scientific way of guessing what a dog's mix is.   If your concern is "for health reasosn", invest the money in DNA health testing instead of a breed guess test.

Well OBVIOUSLY it's a mutt since it doesn't look like any one breed.  Those DNA tests only tend to be accurate if a dog is at least half full bred.  Otherwise the results are sketchy.  They can waste their money on a test if they want but what's the point?  I hope they're not thinking of breeding this mutt????

Why do you think there's Corgi in this dog?  ZERO traits of the breed! It probably has Russell Terrier, Rat Terrier, Chihuahua, who knows what else in there.

no this is a rot wieler mixed with receiver mixed with a lab mixed with a chuwawa mixed with a doxen mixed with a giraffe and every other living creature                 your welcome

Source(s): my fat ass brain

One question back - why bother?    That's no Corgi and odds are he's no 'breed' at all.   Could be some Jackie in him way back although those are not 'Jackie eyes' from colour to expression.

DNA testing tends to tell what a dog isn't not what it is, especially with a dog like that who could any number of 'breeds' in his background.

Just love him for what he is, and save your money!

• Shyh1 month agoReport

We all love him but still curious to know for health reasons etc.

• Jack H

Its a mongrel, nice little dog though FFS just accept its mixed breed, love it, feed it, pick up its ****

I see a lot of Jack Russell in there.

I don’t think it’s a corgi because corgi have big standing ears. They’re the Ferengi of the dog world.

I think he’s at least part Jack Russell terrier. He’s predominantly white with brown facial markings. He’s got short hair.

If he’s a mutt then the dna test will have all sort of dog ancestry.

• Shyh1 month agoReport

Yea we get alot of jack Russell terrier. His ears stand just not all the time but when their up their the shape of a corgis. I wish there was a way I could edit this post to show you a picture of him with his ears up but thank you for your analysis.