Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 4 weeks ago

Is he lying when he says "I am American but a Turkish citizen because my parents migrated to Turkey before I was born" and why?

I live in Italy and yesterday I met a guy and asked where he is from. He said "I am American but a Turkish citizen because my parents migrated to Turkey before I was born". However, he does not look like a generic American, his English is not as good as an American (he said his English is not so good because he was raised in Turkey), he is also not an American citizen. Do you think he is lying to me and why?

Plenty of native born Americans can barely speak English (or any language at all for that matter). But if his parents were US citizens who birthed him in Turkey he would be "American" by nationality. Doesn't matter what he looks like. There is no one "American" look.

What's a 'generic American'?

Do you mean a native American?

A 'white' American of European heritage?

An African-American?

• Maxi

The ONLY way he is Turkish is if one/both of his parents were Turkish at the time of his birth in Turkey, migrating to Turkey doesn't make him Turkish......... you would have to ask him why he is lying, likely because he is illeglly living in Italy

His parents would have to have become Turkish citizens before he was born for him to have any claim to Turkish citizenship. No doubt he is lying, using you. Is he attempting to start up a relationship with you? He likely wants residency/citizenship in your country. He likely wants money from you, too. What's his status in Italy?

The guy is bad news, and you already know this in your gut. Dump him. He's nothing but trouble for you.

Someone born in Turkey to two US citizen parents is a US citizen.  They may also be a citizen of Turkey and both countries allow dual/multiple nationality. 

Firstly, you can only be a citizen of ONE country - so what does his passport say  he is - Turkish or American ??

What ethnicity is he  ?  Middle Eastern Turkish or what 

And what does a 'generic American' look like  ?  Overweight ?  Blond ?  Hispanic ?  Black ?  what ?

I think you are totally overthinking this.  His parents could be Americans who moved to Turkey before he was born - hence his mention of the USA .. 

What comes out of peoples mouths in order to sow sordid seeds keeps them buried.