Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 8 months ago

Where is this smell coming from and how do i get rid of it?

It literally smells like poo. I have a small box room that has a chest freezer in it, it has always been there so i know the smell isn't coming form it, i don't own a dog the only other thing i have in there is cloths that are drying. It's smelt like this for weeks now, i don't know where it's coming from. It's a very strong smell that hits you in the face as soon as you walk into the room.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

It's coming from the loo.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Pee trap is dry.   Look on the floor in the laundry room or near the water tank or near the downstairs bathroom for you may have more than one.  Used to look like a chrome disk about 4 " in diameter with lots of little holes in it.  Water goes down it to the sewer lines.    The pee trap is water that stays in a U shaped part of the pipe.   If water never goes down the drain then the trap water evaporates and the trap is open.  So every time you flush the toilet or use a sink or shower the water going into the sewer displaces air which "puffs" out into your house and it smells like a combination of fermenting poo, pee, shampoo, hair conditioner, beet juice, old beer , turnips, etc.& body sweat.& B.O..   All you need is a cup of tap water and pour it down the pee trap.  Every drain has a Pee trap, so the unused shower, the unused laundry sink that you never pour water into , and dried out toilet bowl (that is the super sized Pee trap)  It must always have water in it to stop the stink from entering the house.

It may be under a rug. or a throw carpet or under a cabinet.  Add ordinary water at least 1ce every 6 months and you will never  have the smell again.

15 year handyman

• Mr. P
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

It is most likely the drying clothes. 

Get a washing line outside and an airer to stand in the kitchen at night. Kitchens are usually warmer and airy places so things dry quite quickly in there. A small sealed bedroom is probably the worst place to dry things.

Hang washing out in the morning, and bring in before the sun goes down.

Open windows in that room during the day, close at night. Wipe down surfaces with bleach and use a carpet cleaner - then hoover.

Move the freezer, check there is no water damage, mold or black spots especially under it. Clean it inside with sodium bicarb solution, then dry properly. (you can pack your frozen stuff in cardboard boxes while you do this)

Leave the door to that room open until the smell goes.

• A
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

I know you think it isnt' the freezer, but you should check it, if not, then perhaps something died in the walls

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • C
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

There may be a dead mouse under or behind the chest freezer.  Have you ever stored potatoes in that room?  If so there may be a rogue rotting tattie.  For such a bland vegetable they rot with a special kind of awful.  How does your laundry smell after you take it out of there?  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.