The doctor suggested an MRI on 1-22-20 and I'm getting one on 1-28-20, Why doe it take 6 months in Canada?

For those of you that think government controlled healthcare is great all you have to do is look at the wait time for things like MRIs in Canada. Or closer to home look at how the VA sucks. I have read stories abut old people not even being able to get MRIs in Canada because the government thinks they are at end-of-life and they schedule young people first.

• 3 days ago

In all honesty it doesn't take six months. That's normally because people are looking to get it between certain hours like between 9am-9pm. My Dad had to get one years ago and he asked for the earliest available time. He asked on a Monday. The time was 3am on a Wednesday. He asked how long it would take if he wanted to go at the "normal" hours and they told him 4 months.

Now depending on where you are it might take more or less time depending on how many MRI machines are available and when you're able to get there. But it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

Jan 22 to Jan 28 is not six months, genius.

Don't worry, we already got the results of your brain scan.  It came back negative.

You seem to be too stupid to deserve one. Stay in trumpland.

Someone so stupid that cannot tell the difference between days and months is not trustworthy on any subjects of any greater complexity.

Troll score: F-

• JuanB

You get an MRI in 6 days.  Congratulations, sounds like you have good insurance.  Lots of other Americans can't get an MRI at all.

So the American horror story lineup is an infinite, never ending line up for the under insured that really really need the service.  The Canadian line up is based on need with a 6 month wait time for those that need it less.  Conclusion:  the Canadian wait is shorter than the American one.

• thinkingtime

I've never waited more than a couple of days except for preplanned check up scans.

In Canada, I get a doctor ordered MRI in a couple of days.  I usually get a CT in a suddden emergency. The one time I had an emergency, I got a specialist visit the same day and an CT. The next day, I got an MRI and the bad news arrived after the weekend.

Last time I needed surgery, the surgeon said it was cancer. I asked what now. He asked if I was doing anything next Tuesday. So I got my surgery then. in four days including a weekend.

Your stories are incorrect.

Edited for clarity - mine. I apologise for my carelessness.

• W.T. Door

In the USA  you get an emergency MRI as soon as the person already in the machine and being scanned is done.

• Tavy

I'm in the 

UK, by my reckoning you saw the Doctor on the 22nd January this year, and your appointment is on the 28th January this year.

I make that a week not 6 months, or do you have  different months than the rest of the world?

Canada and nearly every other country with "universal health care" is rationing care.  Making people wait long periods for routine treatment or procedures is a common form of rationing. 

• Chris1 month agoReport

American health care is "rationing care" to the extreme. Only those who can pay for it get it, even if they are Medicare/Medicaid patients. 

it takes that long mainly because doctors massively over prescribe MRI for conditions that don't even need an MRI (largely, because patients demand solutions even if the solution is ineffective, counterproductive, or Placebo. the main purpose then is to provide justification for the prescription of pain killers post free-reign Opioid era). the demand outstrips the supply.

also, six days really isn't that long to wait.

• Tavy

Yes I worked that out.

• Ludwig

MRI scans are extremely expensive. If you are getting one for free you should know that it will cost the state in excess of £1000 or whatever coupons you use in mooseland.