Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 4 weeks ago

Why do I smell burnt toast?

I'm smelling burnt toast and it's driving me crazy because I don't even cook toast. My boyfriend says he doesn't smell it and that I'm crazy but I think he's lying. Why would I be the only one to smell it? And it's strong too.

Somebody burnt toast.  I don't know who but someone did.

I'm wondering if you got some kind of fire going on, or one that is about to start!

I've been in fire before- My upstairs neighbours unit went up in flames, and the first thing I smelt was smell of burnt toast, before the alarms went off....

Phantosmia is the medical word used by doctors when a person smells something that is not actually there. Phantosmia is also called a phantom smell or an olfactory hallucination.

The smell of burned toast is a common symptom of phantosmia - phantom smells, or smelling something that isn't there.  It can go away just as it came and be caused by something minor like a sinus infection, or it can be a sign of a serious underlying medical condition. Seeing a doctor and ruling out the serious is a wise course of action.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322698.p...

Check your electrical wiring.

• Retief

Smelling burnt toast is a common type of phantom smell. It can be a sign of a serious medical condition. If you smell burnt toast, even if the smell is only temporary or comes and goes, see a doctor for diagnosis and treatment.

If you smell other things (like cigarette smoke when no one is smoking), it could be "phantosmia", smelling things that aren't there.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tem...

Might not be burnt toast.   Might be burnt dust or hair.   That can happen if someone turns on an electrical appliance that hasn't been used in a long time such as a space heater, baseboard heater or hair dryer.

Not everyone smells things in the same way.   Some people are more sensitive to certain scents than others.   I used to work with someone who had ZERO sense of smell.   I once brought a plate of muffins to work and I overheard her tell someone that they were "just okay."  I kept wondering how the hell she would know since she can't smell or taste. 

• Fulk Y

Oh no. You have aromiansyclis. Symtoms include constant smell of toast. It is quite serious if left unchecked

That's a sign of a brain tumor in the hypothalamus . 

• Matt85

Maybe a ghost, one who really used to love toast.