is it true there is a Self Destruction Button on The Space Shuttle?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favourite answer

i dont think so but you never know

• Clive
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

The answer to any question beginning "is It true?" is "no".

• 8 months ago

I think it’s true but it was only scheduled to be used if a hostile alien got onboard somehow 

• 8 months ago

On the Rocket Boosters and the External Tank there was

By Jettisoning them with explosive Bolts

The Mothership though was all in one piece

An escape pod however could have been handy

Source(s): Two Tragedies
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

No. There were range safety explosive devices fitted to the pair of Solid Rocket Boosters (And, used after the Challenger broke up) and on the External Tank, but none on the Orbiter itself.

• 8 months ago

It's not on the space shuttle itself; it's up to the Range Safety officers on the ground.  If the trajectory of the Space Shuttle ever diverted from the planned course - and, threatened populated areas - they could end the flight very quickly....

Space Shuttle astronauts routinely got to know the Range Safety people very well - so they'd think very hard about 'ending' a flight...

• Jim
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

According to NASA (see 1st paragraph)

https://history.nasa.gov/afj/s-ii/s-ii-insulation....

There is a propellant dispersion (self-destruct) system

I would assume this can be activated only on unmanned flights, or after manned portion is ejected.

• 8 months ago

No, but there is a pray the damed thing holds together button.

• ANDY
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

I do not believe on board a shuttle there would be a self destruction button. There is, however, a detonator button on land ready to be activated to explode the shuttle with its rockets and occupants in case something should go wrong with the mission, and the towns and cities below could result with deaths in the hundreds or thousands. 

There is also the possibility that if the shuttle itself, without its rockets, should go astray, the astronauts would wait till the spacecraft is at a few thousand meters altitude, and now above the ocean, and bail out like from any other plane.

• Acetek
    Lv 4
    8 months ago

No.....................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.