Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 1 month ago

Who would be at fault in this situation (driving)?

(Note: This is in the UK so driving in the left lane) So, I was waiting at a T junction in order to turn right. This would mean I would have to go across to the other side of the road so I would have to expect traffic from both sides. I looked right for oncoming traffic and there are several cars parked which cap my view to about twenty to thirty metres down the road and it was completely clear, while to my left it was completely clear in terms of view and cars.

So I pull out, but not particularly fast, and as I am pulling out a car is coming from my right and it is going extremely fast and it needs to brake meanwhile I speed up in order to prevent a crash. The speed limit on the road is 30 miles per hour, the guy was definetely going over it. At the time I apologised to the guy as he got extremely angry, but after consulting with others, they believe that I was not at fault. I've only been driving for nearly 6 months so I'm not exactly a complete novice but definitely not an expert.

I know this is a bit of a weird one, but what do you experienced drivers think about who's fault it would be?

Forgot to mention that the main road as well as the side road, contain entrances and exits to my old secondary school as well as a primary school on the other side. It happens often where kids and their parents appear from between cars so I try to be as careful as possible during the early hours and after school hours.

Favorite Answer

The other driver had the legal right-of-way, even though he was speeding. In a collision you would have been cited at fault. Next time, don't dawdle.

When emerging at T-Junction you, you need to give way, and any car on main road should not have to stop, slow or swerve to go past your self, and if they do it would be your fault.

If your view is limited, what you should do is move forward about 6 inches and have another look to see if you car see far enough into main road that would allow you to emerge safely. If you can not see far enough then keep moving 6 inches at a time and checking until you have good enough view for you to emerge safely.

You may have come across " creep and peep "  when you were a learner, that you should deploy in this situation.

I'd have the boys from London come down to pay the speeding driver a visit. Make him an offer he can't refuse.

• arther

you did pull out in front of him. if your pulling out into the running lane on the downside of the hill you get to the limit as quick as possible in some situations.

You would have to take half the blame if you were hit learn from this so you aren't involved expect other drivers to be speeding and move out of their way so you aren't caught up in there accident. 

• CB

You made a critical mistake (speed is not related to your innocence in this case)- you didn't look to right a second time before entering the road - you always look toward the direction of the most likely potential impact as you enter a lane. 

You  JUST FINISHED STUDYING the rules of the road and got tested on it.  While that question was not asked of you in the test YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO KNOW THE BOOK FROM COVER TO COVER.,,because they could have asked that type of question and YOU HAD to know the answer to get it right.  Otherwise you would not get you D.L.   So; what I am essentially saying REFER to your Driver's Training Manual...for the answer...by reading it again.   You gain new insight by reading it again because now you have a PURPOSE.

Left side or Right side of the road don't make any difference. The rules are the same.

Driving is a BUSINESS.  No time for dodlers, sight-seeing, tourists, people NOT focused on the business of JUST Driving.  You were day dreaming.

"T junction" sounds like a side street that intersects the main road.  Basically you are NOT the THROUGH TRAFFIC...so you have less right to IMPEDE traffic...so you do your best not to disrupt the regular flow of traffic (which you obviously did disrupt)  Fortunately for you the "Speeder has brakes and used them".

. While he Might have been speeding(you can't say for sure) it is NOT UP TO YOU TO SLOW HIM DOWN.  That is what the police DO. They will get him sooner or later.  

You are basically parked when you are on the side street.  You are to wait UNTIL IT IS CLEAR FOR YOU TO ENTER THE FRAY and then you get up to speed QUICKLY...so you become another one of the many of the "main flow of this roadway."

When you do decide to enter, "there is squealing of the tires as you burn rubber out from your standing still position and you get into the lane and speed up to 45 and slow gradually down to the speed limit and find your suitable lane.  This prevents you from getting rear ended by the vehicle behind you as  they adjust for your car into the column of traffic.

So, your friends are wrong.   YOU WERE SLEEPING BEHIND THE WHEEL.  "This time you were lucky"  Next time "Don't bet on it"  The driver of the speeding vehicle could be sleeping & HE IS DRIVING THE BIG TRUCK so you get TERMINATED.  He gets a scratch on his bumper.   Your car was no more than a speed bump. 

Much of driving is Common Sense...and good estimations of where you CAN FIT in the traffic voids with as little disruption as possible.  This time you guessed wrong.  REMEMBER THAT. DON'T DO IT AGAIN.  Wait for a bigger space....AND HUSSLE your azz.

Britain, Australia, N.A. , Italy, and anywhere else in the world that is the common sense rules.

You are familiar with the "Running of the Bulls"?    You are the person who stepped out in front of the running people...and you are WALKING.  THE Bull is the BIG TRUCK.  So you are the first that is going to be hit, gored, trampled on & flattened.

Because you did not RUN.

You basically did the SAME FRICKIN THING.

You are a NOVICE when you got to ASK ABOUT THIS.   IT IS IN THE TRAINING MANUAL.   You are a road HAZARD.

Driving since 1970, Have Class1, so can drive them ALL.& Motorcycle.