Does my wifi extender need to be plugged in to my router?

Currently, the Ethernet cable (yellow in the pic) for my router and extender are plugged into each other.  I want to move my extender, since it’s close to the router and I want more coverage in my house.  Can I remove the Ethernet cable and plug in into the wall somewhere else instead of the router?  I use Telus btw, don’t know if that’ll make a difference.

• Roddy

Provided that wall outlet is wired back with ethernet cable to your router then the extender will get the right signal to extend your wifi network as before.

• ron h

As a man, I rarely read instructions. But in this case, you'll only need to read about 2 lines.  Try that.  The instructions for your extender will tell you that.  I'd guess that it does NOT need an ethernet connection, but read...

Agree with other posts.  Wi-Fi extenders (at least the ones I've used) don't need to be "wired" to the router.  The router and the extender communicate via Wi-Fi.  The Ethernet ports on the extender are intended to be used to connect a wired device to the network.

• Bill-M

All the WIFI extenders I have seen do not have to be plugged in by Ethernet Cable. That just defeats the reason for using WIFI in your Home or Office.

You plug the WIFI Extender into a Power Point Half Way between your Router and the space where you want to use your WIFI Device.

The WIFI Extender picks up the WIFI Signal from your Router and Re-Transmits it on a different channel with a different SSID and Key (password).

• life4 weeks agoReport

There are also wired extenders that just extend the antenna out with a long wire.

• Marduk

Extenders do not need to be plugged in, routers have to be plugged in.  If it is an extender read the directions to set it up for wifi.  Usually it is pushing the WPS on extender then pushing WPS on router.