Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 8 months ago

Why are police officers allowed to break the law in order to enforce the law?

If a guy is speeding, a cop speeds to catch him and pull him over, that doesn't help the situation of a guy speeding at all in terms of traffic safety. Two speeding people engaged in a chase is way more dangerous the a random guy speeding. I don't get how this helps ANYTHING.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Lôn
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Favourite answer

I agree..... a civilian speeding at 90mph is seen as irresponsible and dangerous....yet a policeman hitting 130 mph in order to catch him up is OK.

• hamel5
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

There are rules on pursuit. So, an officer chasing someone who made an illegal left turn in a busy area is limited to a reasonable pursuit and transmitting the vehicle information to dispatch.

But, an officer engaged in a lawful pursuit is not breaking the law, which has exceptions for emergency vehicles.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Cops are the law obey them

Lv 7
    8 months ago

By departmental policy, high speed pursuits are called off / canceled when public safety is a concern.  Most people caught speeding will voluntarily pull to the side of the road.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

And that is why Police pull of high speed chases.

I fail to see how a trained Police Officer chasing a civilian is "way more dangerous."

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.