Want happened to new york state? ?

I grew in upstate ny about 80 miles from the big city. In the 40s and 50s I can remember a extremely prosperous state. We had amenities the rest of the world and many Americans (including californians) didn't have. Things like indoor plumbing, hot water, electricity, etc were universal in the empire state as early as 1920.

In 1947 my family owned 3 cars (which was quite normal for new york), lived in big colonial house, all modern convennces obviously, and had a wide variety of cuisine options to pick from (even though we lived semi rural). 

Fast forward 50 years and new york resembles a second world place bordering on third world. 

Car ownership has dwindled since the 60s, more and more people are living in houses without plumbing, farmers are resorting to medieval subsistence farming upstate as they have no money, mothers can't afford baby formula the list goes on and on! 

Isn't it sad and tragic what is happening to nys? A state that once boasted the nations finest hotels, restaurants, quality of life, and forward thinking progressive people only to resemble Moldova  100 years later! 

Favorite Answer

Same thing that happened to California. You developed a city so large it can easily outvote those in other parts of the state. So all your state policies are now geared toward urbanites and don't address the rest of the population.

• I blame dirty hippies and their socialist policies. Bring poverty like a disease! 

I believe it is still there, but the only time I was in New York state was in 2009.

I live about 60 miles north of the city.

WTF are you talking about..?

There are a few needy areas like Newburgh and Poughkeepsie but people still have plumbing, bro. And I HIGHLY DOUBT there are any subsistence farmers in the Hudson Valley. We have very fine soil, a certain area is called "the black dirt region" where the onions are famously delicious and easy to grow. We still have wonderful quality of life and we still have lots of fine restaurants and hotels. The area gets lots of tourism.

There are definitely problems, like with heroin or clashes with hassidic Jewish folks who are notoriously xenophobic and distrusting of outsiders but it's still a nice place to live.

• M'aiq The liar

I don't think you've ever been to NY. otherwise you'd know better than to say such insane and mildly racist nonsense.