What do you call that rubber thing on cars that is supposed to discharge the static electricity?

I used to see these all the time on cars before the 2000s, you know the thing I'm talkin' about, its a rubber strip that hangs down off the back of the car onto the road.

I think the purpose was supposed to discharge static electricity or negative vibes or whatever and that was supposed to prevent travel sickness or migraines or drowsiness?

I never see these things anymore, did they actually work or was it just some lame gimmick?

Can you still buy them at an auto parts store?

• ?
    1 year ago

Static strips or anti-static strips. They do not work, and never did.  Doubtless you can still find them on sale somewhere, some people will buy anything.

• 1 year ago

Yes they were as effective as putting a plastic drink bottle on your grass to stop dogs pissing

• 1 year ago

Static straps. No manufacturer ever mad that standard. They are aftermarket equipment. The only purpose was to discharge static electricity accumulated by rolling tires.

• George
    1 year ago

In UK we used to use a bathroom chain attached to the exhaust pipe that dangled down to near the road surface. Did the trick and was cheap to make.

• ?
    1 year ago

It's a static discharge strip. Haven't seen one in ages.

1 year ago

GROUND STRAP is the most common term

• 1 year ago

'Static straps'  or maybe 'anti-static straps'.  Our kids got VERY car sick.  In desperation we bought these, but the kids still threw up all over the car.

1 year ago

Do not waste your money.  They do not work.

• marty
    1 year ago

They are called static straps. I have no idea if they work or not, I have one on a pickup but noticed no difference than my other cars without the strap.

• ?
    1 year ago

"static strip" or "static strap".  I doubt if many parts stores would have them - but there's usually some on eBay.

added:  I remember seeing heavy chains dangling from tractor-trailers (most often oil/gasoline tankers) that touched the ground rather than the rubber coated ones on cars.

I can also remember when you got a shock touching some cars or when getting out of some cars.  My grandparents had such a strip on their 1950s Packard and it was there to prevent such shocks.   I'm no electrical engineer and don't know the cause or the theory, but there was apparently a problem on old cars and the strips must have helped or millions of people wouldn't have used them.

Checking eBay today I see many offered from $3 to $10 . . . . looks like many are made in England (with Lucas electrical system, there's probably more demand over there) and they are called "Earth Straps"  ("earth" in England for "ground" here).