Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Do intact male dog owners have to deal with pissing all in the house?

I have someone trying to convince me it's ok to stick a nappy on their intact male dog otherwise he pees all over inside their home.

• Jojo
    Favorite Answer

I have owned male GSD`s for many years and NEVER had problem with them marking or peeing indoors. (God forbid). I had most from pups, so TRAINED them to relieve themselves OUTSIDE. An adult dog, male OR female, `may` pee indoors initially if it`s moved into new environment, but that is quite rare anyway.

In those cases its essential remove any trace of the dogs pee by using a urine neutralising solution or if any trace is left it will induce the dog to pee in that place again. Good heavens, never put a nappy on a male dog unless in urgent circumstances when the dog is very old and incontinent, as that will not help at all and will cause sores, caused by urine and poop, on the dog, and besides, and its almost certain the dog will just rip it off anyway. 

• Bort

No. That's a bad dog owner who shouldn't ever own any animals as pets. We train our dogs to potty outside.

Nothing replaces proper training. I have an intact male and he goes to the door to let us know he wants out, if we are not near the door he finds us and lets us know of his dilemma, be it to go out, to eat or play, train your dog, if you need help find a respected trainer. Putting a nappy, whatever that is, on your dog is not teaching your dog anything at all, it gives him the right to pee in the house.

Do you have or have you had other dogs in the house? Hard to know why your dog is attracted to doing it. You probably need to do some seriously cleaning and scent removing where the dog is peeing and maybe restrict him from getting to certain areas. I have a friend who puts "belly bands" on her males because they pee but she also keeps bitches in the house so hardly surprising that males would be tempted to top each others pee off. The main thing is he isn't doing it to spite you. Maybe get a belly band while you try and get rid of the smell around the house and try and find something you can spray to deter him. PS: Google belly bands, they are not nappys as such just a narrow cloth band that do up with velcro that you can put a pantyliner in to collect any wee.

• Marilyn4 weeks agoReport

absolutely ridiculous.

Me Basset Hound puppy attempted to lift his leg indoors one time. I quickly interrveened and he has never done it again. However I sometimes put a nappy on his naughty bum.

• Maxi

The 'someone' has clearly not done any house training with their dog...so lazy owner

NO.. absolutely NOT.  

I have an entire male here and also have many friends with entire males and we don't have that issue.

I did have a bit of an issue when I brought in another entire male Rottweiler for boarding and my male did mark up a couple of times but that was to be expected really having another strange entire male in the house. 

depends on the dog, theyre all different

Mine is intact and doesnt piss all over. It comes down to TRAINING the dog that marking indoors is not acceptable.

My wife and I trained our dogs. They do not pee in our house

Yes they do mark with their pee. Unaltered male dog pee is MUCH stronger smelling than normal dog pee as well.

Tell their friend to neuter their dog. I doubt this is an AKC pedigreed, show quality dog they've shown to at least Champion so definitely not a dog that should ever be bred.

Sticking a diaper on the dog is just going to lead to infections on the dog's skin because I doubt they'll be changing it often enough. They're also leaving their unaltered dog open to testicular cancer, prostate cancer as they age.