What are the chances of being chosen to serve jury duty when I’m on standby?

I’ve been on standby for jury duty all week and I need some insight for people who have been on standby please!

I am on standby for jury duty. On my notice is says that if I don’t hear anything by the end of the week (Friday), then my service will be completed. 

It’s been telling me to check on my status everyday this week after 5:30pm for further instructions.

Today is now thursday and online it says,

“Your group has been placed on standby.

This means you must check this system again between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. on 01/24/2020 for information regarding a possible appearance within one hour's notice.”

Basically what I’m asking is if any of you have been through this? And if you guys know what are the chances of actually having to go in within one hours notice? 

It’s just been frustrating because I’ve been having to plan my days for a “what if” and my job is having to work around my schedule and it’s affecting my status. Moreover, I hate to have to call off work tomorrow and for the court not to need me at all. My job does not pay me for jury duty and I would miss a days worth of pay for nothing. This process is so frustrating and extremely annoying. 

This is for the Superior Court of California by the way.

I did not have to go in. I got notified saying my service was completed, which is good news thanks everyone!

Favorite Answer

I have been on standby about 7 or 8 times so far, only actually been on a jury once

Being chosen for a jury is a luck of the draw.

50/50 you either will or you won't... 

I got placed on Standby back in November. When the clerk was reading off the names, she mentioned that in the 23 years she had been at this job, not once had the standby jury pool ever been contacted or ordered to report.

But I'm not in California either.

60/40, exactly. Trust me, I know about these things.

• Teva

I just tell them my religious convictions prevent me from serving and am excused.

anything is possible, i would just tell your job you might need to leave if they want you there, i had a jury duty notice back in nov and the case got cancelled so i never had to go