Can I use my high school teacher as a reference?

Is it okay to use my high school teacher as a reference, or should I use someone else as a reference?. Also, is it okay to use a relative as a reference?.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends.  If you are applying for a job, you should use someone from whom you worked in the past if at all possible.  If you have no employment history -- no previous employer -- you may use a responsible adult who knows you well enough to speak to your attributes as a potential employee (responsible, punctual, quick learner, polite, etc.).

It really isn't great to use a relative because it is assumed your relative will vouch for you regardless of your actual skills.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes on the teacher, no on relatives.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

teacher, yes.  relative, no

• Savannah
      Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

Thanks.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Yes,  yes to all, IF you get prior permission from the teacher.

Further, regarding relatives. Read the application. In some cases a relative is not permitted as a reference.

• Savannah
      Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

Alright, thank you!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Nancy
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

It's only okay to use a high school teacher as a reference if you're still in high school or only have recently graduated from high school. Otherwise, it's not only infantile but also indicates that you haven't cultivated a stronger, more professionally relevant reference since graduating from high school.

Using a relative as a reference is wasting a reference. Any employer will expect a relative to be biased, nor likely have any actual first-hand knowledge of the aspects of you that are relevant to what you are asking them to be a reference for. It also screams loud and clear to whomever is receiving the reference that you are so hard-up for references that you are using a relative, which they will infer to mean that you are pretty crappy.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It's fine as long as they are willing to be a reference.  Don't put them down without talking to them.

• Savannah
      Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

Thanks.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.