Phil
Lv 5
Phil asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Did Winston Churchill ever have a drinking problem?

was he an alcoholic ?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

I know he liked to drink, but I don't think he was an alcoholic.

• Quentin
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

"Winston, you are drunk, and what’s more you are disgustingly drunk." Woman, "My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly": Winston Churchill

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

No, never the Glass was Mainly water when he was in India the water was undrinkable so he would add whiskey to make it more Palatable and the Habit stuck

My Uncle was stationed in India before the war and he said the same thing he had to Boil the water then Filter it before he could make a Cup of Tea

• Marli
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

He acknowledged he got drunk; but he was not totally zonked.  A gentleman, a soldier and an aristocrat of his Edwardian generation was expected to imbibe a moderate amount after dinner, which is what he did do. A moderate amount then would be "a lot" to us now.

Lady Astor was a teetotaler. Being against drinking alcoholic beverages, she despised those who drank the stuff.  She and Churchill were political enemies as well.

• 2 months ago

HE never considered it to be a problem, anyway.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Who
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

not at all

he drank a lot - but it never became a problem as far as he was concerned

(why have you assumed being an "alcoholic" is a automatically a "problem"?

It maybe a problem to others (and thats only a "maybe") but not necessarily to the alcoholic)

(there is a quote attributed to churchill

he was accosted by a woman stating he was drunk

he replied he sure was and she was ugly - but at least he would be sober in the morning

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes he was a anti native bigot hated people who were against the British Empire.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

He drank heavily, as did many people at the time. Not a problem. Don't think he was an alcoholic. It is unthinkable now how freely available alcohol was,

but it was not unusual for people to drink during the working day in the 1980s and 90s and still function perfectly well.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No not really, he did drink but at that time so did most men, it never interferred with him doing his job.

• Tim D
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Never spilled a drop – no problem.

• 2 months ago

He drank, but never found it a problem.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.