Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 months ago

If i weighed myself in a flat on would my weight on the scale be inaccurate?

For example, if i was to weigh myself on floor three would it give me a wrong reading than if i was to weigh myself on the ground floor?

5 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

The scale needs to be on a hard, flat surface. It doesn't make one bit of difference what floor of a building you weigh yourself on. You won't get high enough in the atmosphere for gravity to lessen its pull on you.

• 8 months ago

What floor you were on makes no difference.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

It's true that gravity decrease with elevation.  However the difference in weight on different floors of a building is very small  The difference in weight of an average person between the ground floor and top of the Empire State Building is only 2/100 of a pound. 

Although weight will vary, mass will not.  Weight is the force of attraction between an object and Earth. It is measured by compression of a spring or other material.  The US and metric units of force are pounds and newtons.  

Mass is measured on a balance by comparison to another mass.  The US and metric units of mass are slugs and kilograms.  A scale that reads in kilograms is not truly measuring mass. It is measuring weight (force) then uses a sea level conversion to kilograms.

G  m1 m2 / r² = F

F is the Force of attraction between two objects.  

G is the gravitational constant 6.674083x10^-11 N m²/kg²

m1 is the mass of an object like myself. 73 kg

m2 is the mass of another object like the Earth: 5.9722×10²⁴ kg 

r is the distance between the centers of the two objects.

The Earth's radius at 40.7484 deg latitude is 3957.556 mi or 6,369,070 m

The Empire state building ground floor is 15 m above sea level  

My weight at the ground floor, assuming a mass of 73kg would be:

(6.674083x10^-11 N m²/kg²) ( 73 kg) ( 5.9722×10²⁴ kg ) / ( 6,369,095 m)^2

=   717.29 newton or 161.25 pound

The empire state building stands 443.2  meters tall.  

My weight (force of attraction to Earth)  at the top would be:

(6.674083x10^-11 N m²/kg²) ( 73 kg) ( 5.9722×10²⁴ kg ) // (6,369,538  m)^2 

=   717.19 newton or 161.23 pound

• 8 months ago

Whilst there would be a very slight difference, it would not be enough for the scales to notice. We are talking less than a grams difference here.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

no, that's not how gravity works, your weight will be the same anywhere on earth,

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.