Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 months ago

If i weighed myself in a flat on would my weight on the scale be inaccurate?

For example, if i was to weigh myself on floor three would it give me a wrong reading than if i was to weigh myself on the ground floor?

• .

The scale needs to be on a hard, flat surface. It doesn't make one bit of difference what floor of a building you weigh yourself on. You won't get high enough in the atmosphere for gravity to lessen its pull on you.

What floor you were on makes no difference.

It's true that gravity decrease with elevation.  However the difference in weight on different floors of a building is very small  The difference in weight of an average person between the ground floor and top of the Empire State Building is only 2/100 of a pound. 

Although weight will vary, mass will not.  Weight is the force of attraction between an object and Earth. It is measured by compression of a spring or other material.  The US and metric units of force are pounds and newtons.  

Mass is measured on a balance by comparison to another mass.  The US and metric units of mass are slugs and kilograms.  A scale that reads in kilograms is not truly measuring mass. It is measuring weight (force) then uses a sea level conversion to kilograms.

G  m1 m2 / r² = F

F is the Force of attraction between two objects.  

G is the gravitational constant 6.674083x10^-11 N m²/kg²

m1 is the mass of an object like myself. 73 kg

m2 is the mass of another object like the Earth: 5.9722×10²⁴ kg 

r is the distance between the centers of the two objects.

The Earth's radius at 40.7484 deg latitude is 3957.556 mi or 6,369,070 m

The Empire state building ground floor is 15 m above sea level  

My weight at the ground floor, assuming a mass of 73kg would be:

(6.674083x10^-11 N m²/kg²) ( 73 kg) ( 5.9722×10²⁴ kg ) / ( 6,369,095 m)^2

=   717.29 newton or 161.25 pound

The empire state building stands 443.2  meters tall.  

My weight (force of attraction to Earth)  at the top would be:

(6.674083x10^-11 N m²/kg²) ( 73 kg) ( 5.9722×10²⁴ kg ) // (6,369,538  m)^2 

=   717.19 newton or 161.23 pound

Whilst there would be a very slight difference, it would not be enough for the scales to notice. We are talking less than a grams difference here.

no, that's not how gravity works, your weight will be the same anywhere on earth,