Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

I am extremely worried about the coronavirus as my mum is going away?

I am very very worried about the coronavirus, my mum is going away with work to Canada for a week and I’m terrified she’s going to catch it. How worried should I be? 

Canada is by far the most sparsely populated developed nation. It currently has four cases of the Wuhan mutation of the coronavirus. The US is one of the more densely populated nations on Earth and it has eight confirmed cases. Meaning she's probably better off in Canada.

i would just try not to worry and pray instead, she might never catch it

As of now it is NOT in Canada, at least as far as I know, here in the states ( don't know where you are) they are telling us that the general public is fine and that so far the only cases are ones that got IN China, so as long as your mother is not going to China you should stop worrying. 

surgical mask does  NOT  block germs on the way in, it blocks germs on the way out. surgeons wear it not to breath on patients and transfer  THEIR  germs on patients. so if she is not ill wearing surgical mask is not going to do any good. if she has a flue shot she has less chances to contract a virus and even if she does it is going to be easier on her. otherwise tell her to wash hands often and do not eat anything at airport or during flight. I  m going to fly soon as well (not to Canada) and I m worried as well. this is what I am going to do - not to eat anything and not touch my face.

• Nobody

If she's flying, then convince her to wear a surgical mask that blocks germs and she should be fine.