Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Is someone justified in running red lights and speeding 100mph is a woman in labor is in the car?

Would this reckless driving to reach the hospital cause more risk to health, life and property than stopping on the roadside for the birth to occur and then driving in compliance with traffic laws and having any complications treated at a later time.

If only a mother or baby is injuried it is less risk to life and property than if someone risked causing a full bus, or tanker truck to have a catastrophic accident, or risking a chain reaction multi vehicle or multi pedestrian school crossing crash.

Most non premature birthing complications are not a seconds count issue, but more of an hours or days count issue (infection, and other pain) it is not worth risking the lives of others to reduce pain,

Would speeding in this case be reckless endangerment and not justified?

Even if minor birthing complications occurred any damage could likely be reversed by current technology so speeding would  probably not be justified, what do you think?

• james

Under Federal law speeds at 100 or above is automatic suspension of all driving rights. This even aplys to the cops. 

If it is even HALF that urgent, they shouldn't be in a car. Outside of an ambulance. they are better off giving birth PARKED on the side of the road.

Simple answer:  No. 

I have been in a similar situation.  A friend of mine was having a massive heart attack right in front of me.  We tossed his a** in my Honda Civic; and started racing towards the emergency room.  I blew through red lights like they were nothing.  However:  I used common sense.  I glanced all angles of the intersections in all directions before blowing through.  It was night time when the incident happened.  I have a very clean driving record; and normally don't drive like this.  If the streets are packed with people driving; you may have to be a "good little law abiding citizen" while your passenger in need is about to die.  You don't want to cause a collision; and other death's in the process of helping your friend.  Your conscience is your best guide on everything.    

While it would obviously be better for the woman/baby to make it to the hospital without getting into a wreck (not to mention the other people on the road), the driver would be justified to take *some* aggressive driving measures in order to get to the hospital as quickly as possible.

You are very cavalier about the capabilities of 'current technology' (especially when it's not your wife/child at risk) when the reality is that depending on any number of factors, seconds can absolutely count (i.e. - if the umbilical is wrapped around the babies neck, or if the mother is losing lots of blood, etc.).

There's a big difference between disregarding a red light altogether, and treating it like a stop sign if there is no cross-traffic.  As long as the driver is attentive and competent, they are most likely capable of a little bit of excessive speed as well.

My wife constantly nags me about driving too fast - but the morning we woke up to find our son unresponsive (turned out to be a febrile seizure) she was literally like 'there is no speed you can go that is too fast to get our son to the hospital'.

My windshield was covered with ice, and with no time to scrape it, I drove all the way to the hospital with my head out the window, going roughly twice the limit all the way there, and taking evasive action as necessary. 

We ran into the emergency room and people were just standing around not acknowledging us until I threw my keys against the wall - then they were like 'oh yeah, we work in an emergency room and panicked looking parents just ran in holding a child', and they leapt into action.

So, basically - yes.  Within reason, there is justification for aggressive driving when it comes to emergency situations.

I do agree it’s somewhat reckless but at the same time it’s better for the baby to be birthed with professional help rather than on the side of the road. Plus like it’s more sanatized and therefor gentler for the newborn than a backseat of a car

• STEVEN F

It is FAR better to give birth UNATTENDED, as was done for 90% of human history, than to KILL everyone involved in a senseless crash.

Note: I INTENTIONALLY chose the word crash over the word accident.

• Kieth

Driving that fast and running red lights could get her or someone else killed. When my wife was experiencing bleeding while pregnant I drove fast, but not faster than 50 miles per hour, and I did run lights, but I stopped and made sure traffic was clear.

• River Euphrates

I agree - there is a world of difference between 'running a light' and 'treating it like a stop sign'.  Speed is more of a matter of what kind of road you are on (if it's wide open or if there are hidden driveways/cross streets/etc.) weather conditions, traffic.

It really comes down to political allegiances. If the woman is a liberal then the 100mph car should slam straight into a tree because those idiots should NOT be reproducing.

River, I can’t eat those dícks. Your mother already cleaned us out!

• River Euphrates

I would  like to implore you to eat this bag of d!cks anon troll.  And no hiding them in your a** like last time.  EAT YOUR D!CKS!!!

• Shilo

Speeding at 100 mph and running red lights is reckless endangerment, and the danger is also to the woman in labor as well as baby to be born. No, it is not justified.

• River Euphrates

100mph on a freeway with light traffic is one thing, but 100mph on a surface street would be psychotic.

Also, there is a difference between 'running red lights' and 'treating them like stop signs'.

• lj1

People only do that in the movies. The dad might drive a little too fast, but he's not going to drive like a maniac. 

Giving birth in a car is risky even in the best of conditions. It's best to try to get to the hospital quickly, but safely.