Anonymous

are americans son of english people?

I am talking about white americans, I know that usa is a melting pot, that there are germans, irish, italians, hispanic (spaniards too) and latino. I am talking about the oriignal americans, the people of 13 colonies, thank you

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Craig
    Lv 5
    8 months ago
    Favourite answer

What's your fixation with this bit of history?

The original 13 colonies that became the USA were "English" and then became "British" in 1707.  When the first groups of English colonists arrived, they contained mostly English people, but a few of those original groups included colonists who were of different European nationalities.  These original groups, in some cases, encountered other Europeans upon arriving who were already in America either as  colonists, fishermen, or traders.  Naturally, they also encountered First Nations people.  In some cases, the mainly-English colonists subsumed colonial attempts by other European countries, like France, Spain, and the Netherlands (which originally established New York), and simply assimilated those populations.  People from all these different origins filled the streets and fields of the original 13 colonies.

After the colonies were established, trading ships arrived that were usually, but not always English/British.  At the outset, to be a citizen of these colonies, one had to be English - but there were very soon permitted non-English immigrants, sometimes recognized as "denizens" of the colonies to distinguish them from "citizens".  With the arrival of trading ships, there were more and more non-English people, including African captives who were first dropped off in exchange for provisions in 1619.

By 1707, when England became part of Great Britain, the 13 colonies already had diverse populations despite the fact they were British colonies.  By that time, there had been a particularly large influx of Scottish and German settlers.  The diversification continued through 1776, when the USA declared its independence from Great Britain.

So, no - it's not accurate to say Americans are the sons of English people.  It's probably more accurate to say that most descendants of the original colonists have some English heritage, but you can't be any more specific than that.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

I'm not English

• 8 months ago

I am a 10th or more generation American. Every one, except one ancestoral line began in America prior to it becoming the United States. Most of my ancestors did come from England, but some first immigrated to England from Scotland, Wales, France, Germany, or the Netherlands. 

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Do you mean the British? Not as many as you'd think.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • drip
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

The original founding settlers were from England

https://www.thoughtco.com/chart-of-thirteen-origin...

• Lili
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

The first white settlers in what is now the US came from Spain.  There were also French and, yes, British settlers, plus Dutch, Germans, and Irish and so forth.  There were Sephardic Jews and both free and enslaved black people.  We were already pretty diverse by the time of the Revolutionary war

Even earlier, there were some settlers from Scandinavia, but their settlements here did not survive.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.