Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Why do police officers speed illegally through a city during a chase, yet ticket people who speed illegally through a city?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • james
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

All emergency vehicles going above 5 MPH. over posted speed limit must use there lights & 4 way's. Over 15 MPH. over the speed limit must use lights & sieren.  It is Federal Law.  You may go up to the 15 over with just 4 ways & honking the horn in a private vehicle in a emergency only. Federal rules of the road under exceptions when you can go faster than posted speed limit. 

• Dan
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

In some states, such as my own, this is illegal.

I went to traffic court once and asked a similar question. I pointed out that it wasn't right that officers speed all the time with zero consequence. The asshat traffic instructor (was was also employed by the local police dept) said, "You know how you get free hamburgers when you work at McDonald's?" I guess I was a brat for asking the question, but his response was not appropriate.

EDIT: Traffic SCHOOL, not traffic court. My typo.

• ...Show all comments
    • Dan
      Lv 4
      4 weeks agoReport

No, I'm not lying... I mystyped.  I meant traffic school. Context, especially since I meant instructor, should've been obvious - but yes, I made a mistake in a single word. 

• 4 weeks ago

They DON'T. The law EXPRESSLY allows law enforcement to exceed the posted sped limit as necessary to enforce the law.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Police "speeding through a city during a chase" aren't doing anything illegal.

People who aren't Police Officers but are "speeding through a city" ARE doing something illegal.

Don't you ever get tired of this topic?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Emergency vehicles like ambulances, fire trucks and police cars are exempt from the speed laws by other laws.  Thus their "speeding" is not illegal.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I'm not sure. Perhaps the necessity law, but intentionally provoking people to commit acts of violence and then lie isn't protected by that law.

• Brian
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Gosh, that IS a conundrum.

• Claire
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There is no such thing as “legal speeding.” If it’s speeding, it’s not legal. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.