What is the best bacon to buy?

I see different types in the store, such as hardwood smoked or hickory smoked, etc.

Which one is the best? Or should I use different kinds for different recipes?

Thanks!

• CB
    Favorite Answer

The one that is on sale - "The worst bacon I ever ate was GREAT!"

• Mj

There are some really poor products out there.

oscar myer center cut

I just know that the Farmer John brand is loaded with water. Don't even bother buying that kind.

Some recipes call for a particular kind of bacon, otherwise the “best” kind is the one you prefer.

As usual though, you get what you pay for. Poorer-quality bacon tends to contain a lot of added water - it's left in the grill pan after grilling.

• Beth

Market Pantry Hardwood Smoked Classic Cut

• Clive

Whatever you most like the taste of.

It depends on what you're going to do or ultimately want. 

If I am making a risotto with scallops or shrimp wrapped in bacon I will not use a heavily smoked bacon, some of it can be a bit strong. 

For the most part I get an applewood bacon and I get the thick cut. (Sam's Club has great bacon as does Costco.) Much of the time it does not matter what the flavor is as it is not that strong it is only when you are using very mild flavored ingredients that you do not want to over power. Pre cooking sometimes will take some of the stronger smoke flavor out and when I use thick cut bacon I often pre cook a little bit  to remove some of the fat

Humanely raised is the very best.

The most expensive 

• Ann

When I buy bacon I go for the extra thick, center cut,  and i look for the leanest package I can find.   it dices nicely to use in dishes and as toppings for salads as well as just eaten in slices with eggs.