Leah asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 4 weeks ago

How do you practice a language to become fluent if you have no one to talk to in that language?

I'm trying to teach myself chinese and korean and I'm pretty good when it comes to reading and writing but listening and speaking are a struggle. I've tried apps that match you with people to help but they usually don't and I end up just helping with english, no one I know irl is helpful either. I would try some of the 1 on 1 teaching apps like italki but I don't have money to constantly use those.

• Zirp

Listening to spoken language

Reading books with the help of a good dictionary

Watching movies in the language, with good subtitles in your native one

Hanging out with fluent speakers

Writing and reading come first for adults.However to become fluent in any language requires daily communication with native speakers for many years.

I mean fluent like native speakers and not limited fluency in some greetings and phrases.

I like Dulingo, it's not the very best but there is speaking exercises and it has helped me learn a bit of French. It's free too.