Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why is it not illegal to backyard breed?

I mean, it's not much better than puppy mills in hindsight.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It should be banned, in my opinion.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It should be but it's not because it's not an enforceable law

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Policing a law like that would be impossible ........ first you would require licencing of all and any dogs, laws in place that all dogs are nuetered, all breeders of any litters to be licenced with a recordable annual database of exemption of certain dogs to be left entire  and that would require agencies working together, so kennel club, vets, rescue centres, animal control, police, city etc etc...and there are always people who will break any law regardless of what it is and who would do all the additional work in policing it on a day to day basis....

• 1 month ago

At least once a month I am called in to assist the USDA investigators and our local Animal Control to arrest these idiots. Not for BRBing. But on animal abuse or cruelty charges. Doesn't bother me one iota. Ten minutes of paperwork and a trip to the detention center.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Actual puppy mills are generally shut down.

Individual people breeding 2 or 3 dogs constantly are not called puppy mills.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

First, puppy mills aren't illegal, either. Second, neither backyard breeding nor puppy mills are in hindsight.

• 1 month ago

Its a free market, and it would also be next to impossible to police such laws.

The other issue would be to come up with a LEGAL definition of "back yard breeder"

Puppy mills are not even illegal. They are commercial breeders and many are even USDA licensed and inspected...

Puppy mills dont get shut down for being puppy mills, they get shut down when they fail to meet the basic requirements on sanitation and care... Its LEGAL to house a dog in a tiny cage and breed the crap out of it as long as the dog has the minimal standards on shelter, food, water, sanitation and vet care.

Its on buyers to seek out reputable places to obtain dogs. As long as people buy from bybs and pet stores, these places will continue to operate.

• 1 month ago

In the UK, we do have controls that 'should' stop people producing lots of litters.   However, it's a difficult one because many people in the UK breed the occasional litter, usually for their next generation - a hobby situation and that might be thought of as BYBing.

The only thing we can do about this is educate the public so they don't support this kind of breeder.   If the demand wasn't there, the supply should dry up.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.