THEY CLAIM Jury Duty is a PRIVILEGE. WHY am I when I do not want it Privilege should not be MANDATORY. That is ITS FORCED LABOR?

WHY AM I FORCED into it.. WHY do I have to report for it if I do not want to? 

I should not be prosecuted for not reporting after all shouldn't I have the right of freedom and not forced to sit there listening to something I don't care anything about and be forced to claim guilt or innocence. GODS JOB is to JUDGE PEOPLE... NOT MINE.

Favorite Answer

It is rather obnoxious.  I have been called for jury duty like clockwork at every eligible interval.  I have met 60 year olds who were being called for the first time and others who were excited to be there.  Why not fill the jury pools with people who want to be there?  There are plenty of them!

My experience with the court system in NY has been eye-opening but not in a particularly positive way.  I fear I will one day be arrested for contempt for expressing my own contempt and disgust with the lawyers.

• Athena

No, it is civic responsibility.

You should have stayed awake in High School.

Jury duty is an honor and a privilege. It is an honor because it means the courts trust you to make important life-or-death decisions.

It is also an honor because it gives you a chance to make the world a more just and fairer place.

It is a privilege you could lose if you ever get a criminal record.

I have been called up for jury duty several times and enjoyed it every time.

• THEY cannot trust me to make a LIFE OR DEATH choice like you claim.. You probably also believe in ABORTION if you want to MAKE A CHOICE..

• Mike L

I just served jury duty recently and it wasn't bad. Actually very informative to me. Sorry you can't get anything out of it, but it didn't feel at all like forced labor to me. In fact, it was much easier than my job.

Of course it's not a privilege; that's a stretch. But it is a service and it is an obligation to serving your community. Without that service effecting law and order in your community would be problematic.

The privilege stretch is based on the concept that some nations just remove and/or lock up their citizens without trial. The US doesn't do that. We are privileged to have protections from the Constitution and our laws.

• MY SUMMONS SAYS ON IT THAT IT IS A PRIVILEDGE... IT'S WRITTEN ON IT..

It's a civic duty.

• Fuhr

Feel free to leave society at any time.