Is it normal to gain back weight if you quit a ketogenic diet?

I lost 9 inches around my waist on a low carb diet

And then it seems I gained back 2-3 inches

from quitting my diet when I began working

Cause the keto diet was giving me sleeping problems

And I can't afford to sleep at 4:00 a.m. every day

If I have to get up at 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. for work

Favorite Answer

If you go back to your old habits you will gain the weight back. You don't need to be on keto forever but you do need to make sure you don't eat more calories than you need when you come off it. Increasing carbs often makes people hungrier so they go overboard on calories when the stop doing keto and that causes weight gain. 

Any change in diet can cause weight loss. For example, is you only eat 3 energy bars a day you will lose weight. Then when you go back to your regular diet you will without a doubt gain the weight back. This is why my doctor says often "diets do not work." She said people need to make lifestyle changes they can follow for the rest of their life. So yes, what happened to you is very normal and expected.

I'd suggest making small changes, slowly. So let's say if you are like me and love eating cereal for breakfast. Find a good tasting cereal you enjoy to replace your current one. One that is healthier, maybe lower in calories, but something you will enjoy and look forward to. Also instead of regular milk with the cereal use Almond milk or some other healthier milk replacement. Do this for a week or more then move on to finding alternatives for your usual lunch then snack then supper. I've slowly done this over the past year and not just lost weight but also kept it off. Yes, the weight is coming off slowly but I'm making changes I will keep the rest of my life, not something I'm going to stop once I hit goal weight.

Please keep in mind I'm not a health expert, I've tried many many many many many diets over the years and always gained the weight back over time because I went back to my old eating habits.