Does a low high school GPA matter when applying to an art/fashion school?

I screwed up during highschool. I always skipped, never showed up..and was one point in a very abusive situation where I just overall didn't go to 90% of my classes. 

It really screwed me over. I've been wanting to go to a fashion designing school where I will sew my own clothes and create my own designs... Unfortunately I was only able to make a 2.3 GPA during highschool (and this was with me busting my *** for it during senior year).

Do you think an art/fashion school depend on high GPA scores during your highschool year ?

• DON W

What you did in high school won't matter much if you start by spending a year or two at a community college.  Take art and design courses there.  Get very good grades.  Start to assemble a good portfolio.  At that point you can decide if you want to apply to a strong university program.

Some will, others will probably give you the benefit of the doubt if your portfolio is strong, and still others will probably take anyone who can pay. Depends on where you want to go.

• Lili

That will depend on which school. The top schools get many, many applications and can pick and choose, so, of course, they will want to see evidence of dedication and application -- the ability to work hard as represented by grades -- in addition to a portfolio demonstrating major artistic/design talent.

Lesser schools will care less, especially if you can pay your way.

But be advised: this is a tough -- very tough -- field to enter.  Your chances will be hugely increased if you can get into a top school.

i would just apply and see and then you'll know

• Kyliaa4 weeks agoReport

I'll toughen up and just do it lol. I'm just nervous.