Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 4 weeks ago

Anyone who knows about immigration laws? (UK) URGENT?

I'm trying to figure out if I can apply for a visa to the United Kingdom even though I'm currently not in my home country. I'm from the United States of America, but right now I'm in South Korea. I'll be working as an intern in London starting in March or April, but I don't want to have to do the whole process back in my home country. I want to stay in Korea and do it. Is this possible? I've looked online but I haven't been able to find much. Does anybody have any background in terms of immigration laws or does anybody from the United Kingdom know how this works? Can anybody help me? It's somewhat urgent.

Your employer would apply on your behalf but if you're on a longterm visa in SK you could be processed there. 

The company or organization for which you will be working has to sponsor you for the visa. You can't apply on your own.  If they sponsor you for the via then you can complete your part of the application wherever you are.

You can do it from your country of residence. So if you're legally resident in Korea, you can apply from there.

That said; internships don't qualify for a work visa, so the issue is fairly moot.

IF you really have a job offer as an intern (whether paid or not), your EMPLOYER must apply for your visa. You cannot apply. If the employer has not applied, you have no internship. UK is very restrictive on employment visas, very high education & experience requirements for any occupation on their shortage list, so there's a fairly high probability that this is a scam. The exceptionally short timeframe, less than 90 days, is another indicator that something is wrong with this.

You need to talk to your employer immediately to discuss visa required, and the supporting documentation you must provide for your employer's application process. 

• Maxi

The only way you will be "  working as an intern in London starting in March or April" is if the company who has offered you a job ( paid or not) applies and sponsors your work visa......... so you don't apply they do

call Her Majesty's government's embassy in Seoul and ask directly