Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 8 months ago

Parents of adult children who can’t yet afford to move out : have you ever left the house to give the adult children privacy?

My adult daughter politely asked could we leave our home so she could spend time with her boyfriend. They said they are broke and cannot afford a hotel.,my daughter was being nice about it and not demanding so what would you do.

I'd probably have just paid for a cheap motel room for them.

Well since I would already know what was going to be going on I would tell her, your bed is still up there in your room but would you try to keep it down just a little so I can watch and hear my game on tv. Or you could give her the money to go to a motel and they could sate themselves all they wanted to. And give them some money so they can have something to eat on. 

• Edna

Hell, NO! .. I wouldn't leave my house so that my adult daughter could spend time alone with her boyfriend and have sex with him. If they're so broke that they can't afford a hotel room, then they can't afford to have sex either. What are they going to be able to afford, if she gets pregnant?

I am not a parent. If I was a parent then I would be happy to kick out my disrespectful adult child if he, or she said to me what your child said to you. Whose problem do you think it is that they can't afford their own place?

What I am doing with my life is I am saving money, for a home. Not a home that I will never be able to afford, but a home that I can realistically eventually afford. I am also working on projects, for myself, and I hope what I am making will benefit me in someway.

Lastly I am not broke like your daughter, and her boyfriend.

Ask her to go to his house, or go to the cinema or something while they do whatever and let them know when you'll be home.

i dont have kids but i wouldve told her its my home too and i dont have to leave

I'd say, we're not going to leave our home just so you can be alone with your boyfriend, but we will let you know when we are going out for a few hours, and then I'd try to make plans to go to the movies and shopping for a few hours every now and then.

a real parent already knows the answer

That's a little much. I'd treat them to a night in a hotel rather than have to leave my home. 

• :)

Part of the luxury of having your own home is having privacy. I get that she asked nicely, but this is your house that you pay for. I’m assuming she contributes little to nothing. I guess you could do it this once to be nice, but If she wants privacy in the future, she needs to save up and find a small place.

I’m 22 years old, and I also have a boyfriend. I would never ask my mom to leave so that I can have sex with my boyfriend. I “sexile” (it’s slang for exiling people from a space so that you can have sex) my roommates sometimes, but not my parents. Parents are NOT roommates.