Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 4 weeks ago

Why do people say "Thank you for your service" to army people (air force, navy, marine, military etc) but not to policemen and women?

cops have a bad rep, whereas military are seen as pawns

Over the last few years people have been programed to say it.. How about a few years ago they were spitting on veterans, now because a few started a drive to NOT HURT ANYONE'S FEELINGS. IT has become a auto response.. MOST of us Couldn't care less about you saying it.. IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING anymore as it is WAY OVER USED.

That's like saying just because someone was in the military or a cop, fireman etc. they are heros... THATS BS... THEY ARE DOING A CHOSEN JOB which they asked for and are paid to do.. 

• Sally

Because they were educated in government schools.  

They have no critical thinking skills whatsoever.

Source(s): www.Hillsdale.edu

I think they are talking about military service. Even though cops wear uniforms, salute and use a lot of the trappings of the military they are not military. They are civilians, just like everyone else.

• as i pointed out to one arrogant Officer you are Nothing more than a Public servant in Uniform paid from my taxes.and in Canberra the Toilet cleaners wear uniforms and are paid out of the same Bucket of Money

and Like all Bullies just watch yourself were his parting words

They do. I am military, and I thank police officers for their service.

Source(s): And also off-topic, a lot of police are also former military.
    • thank my local police not in a Million they never did anything for me

People are afraid to speak to cops.

If you annoy them they can make trouble for you.

The same is not true for a random military veteran or even an active duty military member.

cause the other ones werent in the service

Here's why not:

Cops Now Take More Than Robbers

The study also found "multiple instances of cash grabs by law enforcement being incentivized over deterring drug sales, wherein police wait until a drug sale concludes and then seize the cash proceeds of the sale rather than the drugs, as drugs must be destroyed and are of no monetary value to law enforcement." It also found that some Los Angeles County cities "were found to be prioritizing asset forfeiture over general public safety concerns … ." In other words, police skew their policing strategies around these lucrative takings.

A Law Professor Explains Why You Should Never Talk to Police

James Duane says you shouldn't say anything to a cop for any reason, you shouldn't plead the Fifth, and you shouldn't stay silent. So what should you do?

James Duane doesn't think you should ever talk to the police. Not just, "Don't talk to the police if you're accused of a crime," or, "Don't talk to the police in an interrogation setting"—never talk to the cops, period. If you are found doing something suspicious by an officer (say, breaking into your own house because you locked yourself outside), you are legally obligated to tell the cop your name and what you're doing at that very moment.

Other than that, Duane says, you should fall back on four short words: "I want a lawyer."

It's just a cultural thing.  It's what you do.  I think it comes from the era when such jobs were drafted and it therefore was not optional.  But I'm not sure, and a quick web search didn't turn up any confirmation or refutation.  It definitely derives from, or is related to, the fact that we say military folks are 'serving their country'.

They tell that to both