how to select best motorcycle?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Picking the best motorcycle is way easier than finding the right women.  There are actually dealers for these things that you can visit to test drive one, or even two, back to back, and you don't have to buy them some gas first.  Try that with eharmony.  And you can own several of them, and even park them along side each other in the same garage, you don't have to settle on just one.  You can ignore one, lavish attention on another and they won't get jealous of each other.  While they will make demands on your wallet, they won't leave you and take the house, yammer on about cleaning the garage out, or invite their maker to come stay with you for a few weeks.

• 3 weeks ago

Seat of your pants.

• 3 weeks ago

Ride them and see what fits you.

• adam
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

BEST? there is no best. There is what works and is best for you. For instance I prefer ol skool choppers. So I gotta build them. Maybe you want a sport bike. Or a big touring bike. Whatever it is you need to start looking and test riding .

Attachment image
    • Anon
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

Grow Up. Do you Whine to your alleged club; "Someone  on the Internet disagreed with me !"  Really....Any real club would rip your cut off  for such an attitude.  Stop posting obvious patches bought off  EBay and we wil consider the answer,  not the source.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

"Best" is Best For You,

Like cars or even golf clubs, One does Not fit All.  There are tourers, dual purpose, enduro, dirt, street sports.Engine sizes from 125 cc to 2400, weights from 200 lbs to 900. Low to very tall seat heights . 

If you ask, most reliable,   probably Honda. Also best value.   And , this is coming from  a Harley rider.   But just about any  modern bike  is close  in reliability, very competitive. BMWs are hard  to find dealers for, expensive parts and long waits for parts. Same for all European except maybe Triumph. Star is biggest mfg in the world, but not in US, yet.

Water cooled lasts longer than air cooled. 4 strokes more reliable than 2 cycles. 

Sit on one, see how she feels To You. Test ride. If both feet flat on pavement,   seat height is Ok. I've gotten 2 test rides, on Harleys,  even, No obligation  to Buy. If the dealer/seller won't, walk away. Don't  get obligated in something that doesn't  fit you. EDIT: The two rides were after I had partially filled out financing papers, showed I had a DL with MC endorsement. I followed a salesman.But, still, no obligation.One was at Ride Now! other at Old Pueblo HD.

Attachment image
    • ...Show all comments
    • noname3 weeks agoReport

Neither is a knuck that sat a long time, used for Sunday rides, only.  When she hits  80-100K, she will  need a  rebuild.  Gold Wings  are traded in at  300K.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

"Best" is subjective.  There is no single right nor wrong answer for all riders.

Do your research and spend some time sitting on each model you're interested in.  The ergonomics on bikes can differ greatly so try to find the one that best suits you physically.

Not many dealers do test rides but manufacturers often have test rides that travel to dealers.  If you can, sign up for some of those and you can get in some riding time with the models you are most interested which may help you decide which bike is best for you.

• ...Show all comments
    • Anon
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

Almost all year in So. AZ.  Sales a bit slower in winter so dealer more amenable  to test rides

• Anton
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

What you *CAN* buy depends on where you are.  How much money do you have?

Who old are you, how big you are?

Why do you want a motorcycle, where will you ride?

Style matters.

• noname3 weeks agoReport

Age means Nothing if over 18.

• Tim D
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

First decide what you want the motorcycle for (the various types), then work out what is within your budget, then read online reviews (not just magazines, look at owner's clubs and blogs too), make sure you are going to be able to get basic parts like brake pads, tyres, chains etc.

Once you have it narrowed down, go and look at the bikes, sit on them, ride them if possible. Then start talking to the sales staff, explain that you have several options, and ask them what they can do for you which might make you choose their product (profit margins are tight so this may be clothing/ protective gear etc. rather than a discount).

Once you have done all that you should be able to make an informed choice as to which is the best for you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.