PA rent rebate. Am I eligible?

I just move to pa from Florida and am disabled. I am renting a room off my aunt and uncle. I have all ready have changed every thing to PA. I seen where pa has the rent rebate program and did not know if I could sign up for it as I am renting a room off of my aunt and did not live a full year yet in pa? 

A room generally doesn't qualify.  It must be a self contained unit with bath and kitchen AND your relatives must claim the rent on their taxes.

The rebate is tiny and is prorated over the months you lived in PA.  However, I  doubt you can meet the standard of proving you have a landlord/tenant relationship. Do you have a lease?  (Cancelled checks for rent are not proof for this purpose. )

• Bort

Here is the info about tax and rent rebate programs:

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/GeneralTaxInformation/P...

Read the rules and guidelines. And make sure it's legal for your aunt and uncle to be renting a room in their home before you apply. 

State laws in Pennsylvania allow rooming. Some cities and towns and boroughs do not. If they're in an area that prohibits rooming and you apply for a rent rebate you could be setting off an alarm on them, and yourself. 

If there aren't any laws in that area for rooming you also want to have them look at their mortgage contract. Some mortgage contracts don't allow any kind of renting of the property. If such a thing is in their mortgage contract there's a possibility they could lose their mortgage and be foreclosed on. 

If they are renting their home it's likely they're not able to rent out a room. You didn't include how they are in the home whether they own it and it's paid off or they're renting or leasing or still paying on the mortgage. Those factors matter. 

if auntie and uncle aren't reporting your rent, one of you may get in serious trouble if you apply for the rent rebate.  If they just consider it helping with the bills, and not actual rent, you likely would not be eligible.

talk to aunt and uncle before you apply.

• Judy

If your total income, including non-taxed income, is less than $15,000, you're likely eligible.  Only half of social security or SSI is counted.

You are free to apply for the benefit.

It does not sound like PA has many restrictions on this.

Just, make sure that your family is paying taxes on the rental income.  If not, it may end up being a bad situation. 

Look up the terms of the rent rebate program and read the requirements.

• Maxi

You mean get tax payers benefits to live with family? No