How are deck officers *addressed* on an oceangoing merchant ship?

I don't mean what are their ranks, but how are they spoken to by captain and crew.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

"Yo Mate, whats up?" "Hey Mate, you bring up that hard drive?"...

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

"Mr." and last name for most on a merchant ship when captain asks for them to listen or obey an order or report.  As for lesser position crew addressing a deck officer, "Mr." is used.

Many in military do that or use rank instead.

But it comes a bit difficult as more women are in the ranks of either type of ship.  Last names might be used then?

Source(s): Was a tech on geophysical vessel for months almost 50 years ago. I cannot remember hearing any conversations between the ship captain and crew. But I do remember he was a Navy Lt Commander in reserves, and was by the book and was strict with anybody not doing things right.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

By their first name or last name.  The captain however is always called  captain or "skipper" or "skip".

• it is i
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

Or "Old Man" if he isn't present.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

If they are being called upon or summoned they are referred to as their rank first and then their last name. Sometimes they're summoned by their first name or whatever they personally prefer to be called on a non-military ship. It's not a requirement to be formal on a ship that is not military. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.