Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationCamping · 6 months ago

Survival knife?

Looking for a knife for camping, in case u ever do get in a situation where u need to survive for awhile in the wilderness, plain or serrated blade? Which would be more useful for all situations?

Just get a cheap knife that will not bother you if you lose it!

You will not need a knife for survival camping as the likely hood of you ever doing that is less than zero! Old Ice cube pup is off on a imaginary flight of fancy again.

I have lived and hunted in Alaska since 1982.  Graduated from two military survival schools - three years of jumping out of a helicopter for a living and ten more doing mountain and bush rescue from small planes.

1.  You knife needs to be a lock back.  Otherwise it can close on your hand and fingers and cut them off...…. like it did my boss at work.  He could not find is usual, grabbed a 'spare' and while cutting trapping bait took off a finger on his right hand.  He then used that same hand to operate the gas and drive his snowmaching 4 hours to his car - then 6 more hours to the nearest hospital. Folding knives need to lock into place.  Never keep one that does not - get rid of it.

2.  Get a half straight and half serrated blade.  After a week of survival my straight part was getting dull.  That serrated part would let me cut through big heavy thick ropes.  The serrated section is a problem to sharpen, so, be sure to get a small little easy to keep sharpener with it.

3.  My preference is a switchblade (automatic).  There have been too many times I could have gotten hurt or damaged something if I had to let go and use two hands to open the knife.  I keep a Boker $39 automatic in the little first aid kit of each truck and ATV.  I like this model for everyday carry too.  You are better off having a few of these with your equipment than spending $300 on a nice Benchmade.  BladeHQ.com has thousands of different automatics.  

If you are putting together a survival kit - go the local medical supply store and buy three disposable scalpels.  These will let you take something apart and make a new gasket - very helpful.  Buy a new Boker and add that along with a ceramic sharpener.  

Avoid the big Rambo survival knives.  Your are better off with a 'pack saw' to carefully and quickly cut branches and wood...….. much safer than fighting a big knife that could hurt yourself badly. 

Here's a decent knife for not much money-

https://www.industrialrev.com/morakniv/bushcraft-s...

Cheap? A good Swiss Army knife would be good. If you want something bigger, get a Leatherman. If you are thinking you only need a knife then get military type survival knife that has at least something in the grip you can use. Keep in mind some states will go nuts on you if the blade is longer than 3 or 4 inches.

Get yourself a good quality Marine Corps KA-Bar

• BOBBER

I use a leatherman wave(multitool) It has everything you need plus a lifetime warranty.

• Kieth

Atlantacutlery.com

In that case, almost any knife will do, do long as it is sharp.