Employee left without notice, was this to be malicious?

An employee of mine left on the spot through an email.

Email was polite, but didn’t give any explanation. Just said: this was her last day and she would be able to leave the keys to the receptionist.

She was a good employee. There’s no talk of her finding a new job. Why would she leave? Do you think there was something wrong with the work environment? Or do people just leave like this?

How would we know why she left?

Call her and ask her.  Otherwise, it's too hard to know.

• I'd give her a call and see if she would be willing to give an exit interview. They're pretty common and can be exceptionally helpful.

If someone doesn't want to work, for you then he, or she can simply leave. You won't have to pay the person anymore.

There are countless of reasons why employees leave. Maybe problems at work, or she could have left because of someone else. What I mean about leaving because of someone else is that if she has a boyfriend, or husband who moved somewhere else then she could have gone with him. If she is living on her own then maybe she can't afford where she is living, so she had to move, and as a result she had to leave her job.

All I am doing is listing possible reasons why she left.

There are many more reasons why employees leave, so if your employee didn't explain why then just move on with your life.

Hypothetically speaking if someone hired me in a company, and then I eventually quit then I would not talk about looking, for another job with anyone who works in the company. Because that would be nobody's business.

You received notice of her leaving right, so I think that's good enough.

• Scott

She doesn't owe you an explanation. She informed you she was quitting, you said she was polite. That's enough.

My sister is a small business owner and tells me that especially among the millennial / gen z types that quitting without notice is very much a thing.  Most of the people who quit on her don't even bother sending an email.  They just stop showing up.  Here in the electronic age, face to face conversation is becoming a lost skill.  More and more people would prefer to simply not say anything than to risk getting involved in a face to face conversation that might make them feel awkward or possibly become confrontational.  

• y

You need to contact her and ask these question. Or, have a third party reach out to her and ask these sort of questions.

Unless there was a sudden emergency in her life, I'm going to guess that there was an issue within the enviroment. That is the most common reason. Issue with other personnel or management.

Quitting is not "malicious".   She has no obligation to work for you.  Giving two weeks' notice is considered polite, but she is not required to.   She also isn't required to give you any explanation.   

There could be many reasons and the only way to find out for sure is to ask her by email. 

Ask her to do you one final favour and ask her why she left. Tell her that any reply will be treated in the stricted confidence,  and that you want to know  if there are issue(s) within the workplace so you can prevent the loss of any more valued employees like herself.

• Bill

No, people don't usually leave like this.  The proper thing to do is to give two weeks notice, in writing, accompanied by a conversation.  She doesn't have to give a reason but it's bad to not give you time to find a replacement.  

Phone her and ask why she quit.  Don't rehire her.