How can a parent minister to unsaved adult children?

Growing up, my Dad took us to church, but as adults all of us strayed from Christ. I only recently came back to the faith, but not through his influence, and I’m just now learning things in my new church that I had no knowledge of growing up. I don’t remember having conversations about God at home at all really, and I had a hard time understanding the importance of church growing up. 

I’m trying to find ways to minister to my brothers, but what kinds of conversations do you think are effective for parents to have with their unsaved children? Maybe I can give my Dad some suggestions. 

• I care
    Favorite Answer

Alexia,  many times just being an example of being God's Child helps others to see how God works through us.  

I am glad you have found God and sometimes parents don't do all they can or should.  Coming from all different backgrounds so nothing is shared or known as it should be. Glad your dad at least took you to church service.

I came from a non-church family, but God placed several in my path at an early age, and also my oldest brother was planning to be in the Ministry at one time.

Older brothers took me to church also.  

Hope you have purchased a wonderful study bible which helps clear up some scripture.  Important to learn not to take scripture out of context also. It take sometime to understand many scripture and asking questions doesn't hurt especially to your Minister. 

Little bit by little bit is recommended in talking to your child, and being that example. Blessings on your new path with God.  

• I care

I don't blame you at all for not condemning your dad....I loved my dad likewise.

By his love and good example, of course.

ask if they know who Jesus is, what He did and why it is important to believe what He did in order to go to heaven.

I have met Yeshua ("Jesus") a number of times over the past 25 years. He is real, He is alive, He has spoken to me, and I have spoken to Him. Each encounter was unexpected and unique. Search YouTube for "Jesus encounter" and you will see He has appeared to atheists, Jews, Muslims, etc...

John 8:23-24 Yeshua said to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he [the messiah, the Son of God] you will die in your sins.”

Matthew 10:37-38 [Yeshua speaking] Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

Is Yeshua the most important thing in your life? How much time do you spend with Him every day? Is He your friend?

To "take up your cross" is to deny the desires (not the needs) of the flesh and be obedient to the laws and commandments of God. As you develop a relationship with Yeshua ("Jesus") you will hear from the Holy Spirit (Dreams, Visions, Words of Knowledge, Words of Wisdom, etc...) You must be obedient to what the Holy Spirit communicates to you without hesitation. If you are asked to do something, or told not to do something, the immediate answer is "Yes Lord", worry about the details later - He will lead and guide you in accomplishing anything you are asked to do as you do it.

Spend time in prayer every day (praying out loud). Here are prayers I say every day. Modify them as you see fit for your situation and circumstances:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/li9k4kpvhvfx9yc/Daily%20...

Spend 30 minutes or more every day reading your Bible (reading out loud). Start with Matthew and read to the end, then start at the beginning. I use the ESV, but the King James (not the "New" King James) is the most accurate translation as it is the ONLY translation that uses the Textus Receptus manuscripts.

If you are willing to set aside the things that take up most of your time (TV, movies, gaming, Facebook, Internet, etc... you know what you spend most of your time doing), and dedicate three hours every evening to the Lord, within a few months if not sooner you will see a mighty move of God in your life. Develop the following routine and stick to it consistently:

Spend the first hour praying in tongues. Praying in tongues (out loud) is probably the most important thing I have learned to do. Since I started doing this I have had numerous dreams, visions, and even encounters with Yeshua. Here is a document that will help you understand and get started:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pibf1bwoqmoo74/Pray%20i...

Spend the second hour waiting on the Lord quietly. This will help you learn how:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/57n603ps4tv62ri/Wait%20A...

Spend the third hour singing (out loud) praise and worship songs. These songs should mention the blood of Jesus, the cross, and/or attributes of the character and nature of God. Here are a few of my favorites (you can set it to shuffle play so they play in random order):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2kjGV_3m9r...

In addition to that I like to listen to "soaking" music at a low volume while praying, reading, or waiting on the Lord. Here is the music I use:

Talk incessantly to them of your religion. Make it quite clear that you consider them to be hellbound for their wickedness. eventually, they will stop talking to you all together, and you will be isolated, as you deserve.

• Alexia1 month agoReport

This is my fault for posting this here. I needed to post on a Christian forum. But since you decided to answer my question, I would recommend one book. “The Case for Christ” by Lee Strobel. I’m tired, so I’m not gonna write much, but you can read my other comments. 

Unless you want to alienate your brothers, leave them alone. They'll steer clear of you if you obnoxiously try to preach to them. You have no right to impose your beliefs on them. They are living their own lives as they see fit. 

And please don't answer me with your repetitive Lee Strobel story. It means nothing to anyone. 

• Alexia1 month agoReport

I’ve learned a lot. I’m still learning. If you’re ever curious, check out that book. It’s not a command to share my beliefs. But if you like to read, it’s out there. Goodnight. 

What - you just learned what and think you can teach what? 

Tell you what _ once you have become an expert by all means throw it out there .

By all means if you have proof of god throw it out there .

If you are going to talk about belief be prepared to be thrown out there .

• Flametard76

Lying for christ and Kenneth worth $360,000,000.00 while people who call and donate die hoping his promise of prayer and miracles work and DON'T work but the die broke while these liars for christi grow rich . You're a wishful thinker at best and a fool at most  Alexia .

Leave them alone unless you're willing to destroy your family.  Unfortunately this is pretty common with Christians.  I know several families that have been torn apart by people like you.  Your cult means more to you than your family, and they know it.  Don't make it worse.

• Alexia1 month agoReport

His name is Lee Strobel. He and his wife were both atheists, but now he tours and lectures about what he discovered when he did extensive research. 

You might try coming up with two short prayers, specifically calling on YOUR favourite God or Goddess.

When ANYBODY says Prayer #1, even if they do NOT believe, a dozen  tossed coins will ALWAYS land heads UP.

And, prayer #2, the SAME coins will always land TAILS up.

Say EITHER prayer, substituting the names of any OTHER Gods or Goddesses, and the coins fall in random distribution, because THOSE Gods and Goddesses DO NOT EXIST.

Nothing convinces skeptics like testable, repeatable, consistent EVIDENCE.

• Alexia1 month agoReport

Let your brothers alone. Mind your own damn business. Who the Hell do you think you are?

• You have a link that says Strobel provided the proof that God exists? That's what I thought.

Btw, you can't prove something wrong that's never been proven in the first place. Duh.