Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 2 months ago

should you administer a hypotonic or isotonic amount saline to a severely dehydrated patient?

A question from my biology textbook, I think that the simple answer would be hypotonic but after further research it is being said for it to be isotonic?

Also is glucose likely to be included with the saline?

Any help is appreciated, thank you :)

Textbook question below:

Another patient (NN) is suffering from severe dehydration and salt loss. A possible treatment in this case involves administration of a sterile saline solution.

Would you predict the saline solution used in this case to be:

i isotonic

ii hypotonic

iii double strength?

• Zirp

if intravenously it better be isotonic

if given orally (=letting the patient drink) it can be isotonic or hypotonic. if it's totally hypotonic (pure water) it won't help with the salt-loss.

Double strength would only make the dehydration WORSE.

Glucose can be present in the IV or (sports)drinks, but won't help against salt-loss. unless the patient is hyperglycaemic already it wouldn't hurt

Hypotonic solutions are never administered because doing so would lead to rapid hemolysis of RBC in the circulation. Likewise, a double strength solution would be hypertonic and would cause further dehydration of the tissues. So, the solution would be isotonic.

I'm not sure about the presence of glucose. I don't think it would cause any harm and would probably be of benefit to the patient.