V5 document?

Hi I bought a car begging of December still not had log book so I messaged him he said it done online now how do I get the v5 if I want to sell or view it ? 

8 Answers

  • Neil
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

    You need to fill in a form V62, and send it off with the green slip the seller gave you.

    Keep a photocopy of the green slip, just in case you need to refer to it again.

    See the part from "If you do not get it within 4 weeks" under the "Register by post" heading at the link below.

  • 12 months ago

    i would not sell it.

  • 12 months ago

    If you have the green slip you can go on the gov website, download/print out a form V65 and send the slip and the form off to the dvla, to get the log book, and theres no fee. 

    I didn't get mine from the seller of the car I bought, not sure why anyone wouldn't want to transfer their sold car out of their name, but theres a form for it. Just costs you postage.https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-log-book, scroll down to the appropriate part.

  • May
    Lv 6
    12 months ago

    They are not obtained "online"

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 12 months ago

    NO: It's NOT "done on line"

    When you buy a used car you get the bottom of the V5 from the seller as a temporary registration doc. He then puts the your details on the main part of the V5 and sends it to Swansea. Until he has done this the seller remains liable for the car. When DVLA get the old V5 they issue a new one to the new owner, generally within a couple of weeks.

    You can get the forms to reregister the car (from a main Post Office) and do it yourself, but may take a while as some checks need to be done with the last registered keeper.

    I would do this asap, as until the car is registered in your name you can't easily sell it, and the insurance may be invalid.

  • Anonymous
    12 months ago

    Nobody with any common sense would buy a car without the v5. Check

    with DVLA.

  • Anonymous
    12 months ago

    You need to contact the DVLA. It's the seller's responsibility to transfer the V5 with a hefty fine if they don't. You could also ask your local plod if the car is stolen.

  • 12 months ago

    martin !!!!..your old enough to know ...NO V5 ..NO BUY  ..you should have it the day you bought it ..no rubbish ..the seller retains the bottom bit and sends it to swansea ..you get the rest  ..get in touch with VOSA

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.