Okay to drive?

So I have my 2008 Jeep Liberty with 140,000 miles. The service 4wd light came on. I scanned it, and it said “speed control switch 1 performance.” It’s blocking my 4wd from turning on, but does that have anything to do with it? Should I just clear it so I can use 4wd? What is the issue? It is Winter so I need 4wd. But I don’t have the most money rn to fix.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

clear it off and see if this works

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

You need to get it fixed. You risk further damage by just clearing the code and trying to drive (and it will eventually throw the code again anyway.)

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Find this switch and replace it yourself.  Clear the codes.  If it fixes the problem, your car is fixed.  If not, cough up the money and see a mechanic.

• 2 months ago

I'm no financial advisor but it seems to me that turning a $200 problem today into a $1000 problem next week by ignoring the problem for a week instead of just fixing it right away isn't a very good way for someone with no money to save money.  The "service 4wd light" is on for a reason and that reason is not to ignore the cause of a problem until something really expensive breaks.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

My magic 🎱 ball says...it's not safe to drive your jalopy anymore.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Read. The. Manual.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can try to clear it. If the light comes on again get it fixed.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.