Okay to drive?

So I have my 2008 Jeep Liberty with 140,000 miles. The service 4wd light came on. I scanned it, and it said “speed control switch 1 performance.” It’s blocking my 4wd from turning on, but does that have anything to do with it? Should I just clear it so I can use 4wd? What is the issue? It is Winter so I need 4wd. But I don’t have the most money rn to fix.

clear it off and see if this works

You need to get it fixed. You risk further damage by just clearing the code and trying to drive (and it will eventually throw the code again anyway.)

Find this switch and replace it yourself.  Clear the codes.  If it fixes the problem, your car is fixed.  If not, cough up the money and see a mechanic.

I'm no financial advisor but it seems to me that turning a $200 problem today into a $1000 problem next week by ignoring the problem for a week instead of just fixing it right away isn't a very good way for someone with no money to save money.  The "service 4wd light" is on for a reason and that reason is not to ignore the cause of a problem until something really expensive breaks.

My magic 🎱 ball says...it's not safe to drive your jalopy anymore.

Read. The. Manual.

• Bill

You can try to clear it. If the light comes on again get it fixed.