What is the purpose of this rack? How does it function? ?

So the other day I was sorting through the store room we have in my house when I came across this rack. It must have belonged to my dad however he isn’t around anymore. My mum doesn’t know what it’s used for, nor does anyone else I know, and it’s driving me crazy!!! I don’t want to dispose of something without knowing if it could be useful! Also this is definitely not a CD rack though it may look like it, any CD cannot slip through as there are vertical lines at the back stopping you from doing so. Also please notice how you can supposedly screw this rack top right and bottom left... but it wouldn’t be flush against the wall??? 

Please put me out of my misery!!! Many thanks 

CDs or DVDs? That's all that comes to mind

• Mr. P

Looks like it would work as a corner scarf rack. The idea is you loop the scarf around the smaller loops not through them, and just push back.

May work to display sunglasses if turned around.

Interesting and intriguing.

• Marvinator

If this WERE for scarves, when pulling out one on the bottom, the others above it would slip off too easily. and it doesn't explain the larger loops either....

• denise

Could it be a tie rack?  Or maybe a rack for belts?

Fasten to the wall and hang your socks on it. 

• Wajima

It's just soooooooo obvious what it is, it's a rack for holding thingummies on.

Would it function as a rack for displaying greeting cards?

• Andy

Since it seems we're all guessing, I'm guessing that it is a men's tie and belt rack that's designed to be mounted in the corner of a closet hence the two mounting points that are 90 degrees from each other.

• Marvinator

I'd also like to point out that if this WERE for ties, when pulling out one on the bottom, the others above it would slip off too easily.  And spending all your time slipping them through the loops defeats the purpose of a rack at all.  

Nice vintage Deb Renyolds poster!

Nope, not a shoe rack. Judging by the size of your hand, it is too small to be a shoe rack. Those mounting areas on the bottom left and top right are throwing me off as is the fact that the double sets of wire loops do not line up from one side to the other. The position of the mounting area suggests, like another poster noticed, that this is a rack that is mounted in a corner. Which also means it can be mounted on the floor next to the wall or even at the top of a wall next to the ceiling.  Or it can be installed on a shelf. A right angle installation, it seems.  Intriguing. 

It would make a good scarf holder but extremely over-engineered.

I am racking my brain [yes, pun intended] what on earth your rack holds. Now this will be on my mind, and if I can figure it out, you will hear back from me.

Maybe it's for shoes.

Ask your uncle who has one just like it.