m88m asked in PetsOther - Pets · 2 months ago

Can a rabbit live on veggies only?

I had a rabbit where she eat a large amount of romaine lettuce every day for like a month but still had timothy hay if she wanted it. As far as I can tell she would not eat the hay only the lettuce. Before when I gave her little amount of lettuce she would eat more hay but would get more runs or it would be mushier like. Then for like a month I gave her mostly lettuce but still had access to lots of hay even though she did not eat the hay she did not get the runs and it was more like normal. I was wondering is it healthy for a rabbit to eat mostly veggies and what would happen if she only eat veggies? My adult rabbit is very healthy in every way

• enn

Yes, rabbits are related to deer and they are almost always vegetarians. Do also share with your rabbit cucumber and zucchini peels, cabbage leaves, sunflower seed hulls, the occasional carrots, green fresh grass, and various spring weeds such as chickweed. Some rabbits even like to eat weeds such as young sprouted stinging nettle and tender green thistle. We feed our chickens green chickweed, green grass shoots, young sprouted stinging nettle, thistle, and clover. Your rabbit will appreciate the variety. Good luck to you!

• m88m2 months agoReport

I have to agree with you that they are vegans with limitations. I would not feed cabbage to a rabbit it can give them gas

Some animals stomachs, UNLIKE HUMANS, are made to digest large amounts of vegetables to where they can actually live off of them.

• IOM

Rabbits are herbivores, which means they eat only vegetables and plant-based foods. The primary foods in the domestic house rabbit's diet are grass hays, fresh vegetables, and water.

• patty

I would give her a mixture of fruit and vegs.

• kitty1 week agoReport

giving her a mixture is good giving them a piece of fruit once a day or once every two days is a nice treat for them