Abby asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

Why is my fish not eating?

My betta fish is not eating. It went from a good diet to progressively eating less and now he won’t eat at all. It’s to the point where I have him pretty much trapped in his net underwater to make sure he sees the food and it’s literally right in front of his face, on top of his head, all around him and he won’t acknowledge it at all. I’ve tried different types of food, pellets, dried shrimp, etc. I’m just really worried I’m doing something wrong.

I’m not sure if this could be related but recently I had a bit of a snail infestation in his tank and it makes his tank gross and smell awful in a matter of a few days, I’ve tried to get rid of the snails but last time I did they returned. I just redid his tank yesterday and I haven’t seen any snails yet but he still isn’t eating. I used to do partial water changes but with the snails I end up having to change and clean out the whole thing because they infest it, so it’s hard to fully change his whole tank constantly. 

I’m just really worried and don’t want to be hurting him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated 💕

Betta fish need a temp about 78-80, if the temperature drops to 68-70, they slow way down and will eventually die. They love frozen blood worms, brine shrimp.

• Bort

The reason he's may not be eating is that he is simply full. Over-feeding is feeding the snails allowing them to breed because they have plenty of food. One betta fish should only be being given no more than 3 flakes, 1 or 2 pellets, two times per day. If you're feeding him more than that that's why he's not eating and it's also influencing the snail population - you're over feeding.

Betta fish eat snails. So he is probably extremely well fed. Stop feeding him. He's not eating because he's not hungry.

That's most likely what the smell is from too. It's not the snails making it smell it's all the food the fish and snails didn't eat rotting.

Cory Catfish get along with Betta's and snails are their primary choice of food. So you may want to get one to help control the snails.

You're probably overfeeding. No more feeding sessions! Let him eat the snails.

What filter do you have? the tank should not smell bad, not even with 500 baby snails in it.  

STOP taking the fish out of the tank to clean it!

STOP putting the fish in a net to feed it.  

every time you touch a fish with your hands or the net you rub off slime coat, "fishy immune system"

you are likely over feeding.   you betta needs about 3-4 pellets or flakes a day, 5 days a week.  2-3 blood worms on the other 2 days.

I suggest that you fast the betta for 3-5 days.

get the frozen flat of bloodworms, cut off a small, less then a dime size piece and put it in a jar of his tank water in the fridge, now you will have enough blood worms for a week.  Feed him 2-3 blood worms after the fast, every day for a week.

New life spectra naturox thera plusA pellets are designed to be tempting to fish on the down low, and they have enough good protein for a betta that it can be a healthier staple diet then most foods sold as betta foods. , 

If you still have too many snails in a month. and you trully can not tollerate the snails, I suggest you just get  a new tank and decoractions and gravel, move the curent filter and the fish over.

• patty

clean water is very important

• Jack H

Youre overfeeding the tank, thoroughly clean it, thoroughly, i mean everything in it try from there with new set up, you can keep the betta in a small tank with 50% of the old water and 50% new for a couple of weeks, dont feed anything for 5 days, stop trying to force feed only feed live food after the fasting period and you might save your fish. More fish are killed by overfeeding its nearly impossible to starve a fish to death. After a couple of weeks, go back to feeding normal food but half the quantity you were feeding...

• Abby2 months agoReport

Thank you so much! I’ll try to just leave him alone and let him fast for now then try again in a few days. Thank you again!

• patty

my fish always loved those frozen worms

betta fish is not eating. It went from a good diet to progressively eating less and now he won’t eat at all. It’s to the point where I have him pretty much trapped in his net underwater to make sure he sees the food and it’s literally right in front of his face, on top of his head, all around him and he won’t acknowledge it at all. I’ve tried different types of food, pellets, dried shrimp, etc. I’m just really worried I’m doing something wrong. I’m not sure if this could be related but recently I had a bit of a snail infestation in his tank and it makes his tank gross and smell awful in a matter of a few days, I’ve tried to get rid of the snails but last time I did they returned. I just redid his tank yesterday and I haven’t seen any snails yet but he still isn’t eating. I used to do partial water changes but with the

• patty

he may die unless you take to vet or get a vet to come around