patty
patty asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 2 months ago

if u could only have one type of plant in your garden what would u choose? eg, annuals, roses etc?

• Edwena

Go to the nursery and buy a 6 pack of petunias.

agree with the first answer

Aquilegia, there are just so many types of aquilegia with so many flower and leaf types. 

CACTUS... LOTS of then under windows and places where I do not want people walking and trespassing.

• Axiom

I would go for evergreens,that way you have some display all year round which could include flowers or berries.

• Mr. P

Grass.

You can make a whole garden of only that, and many people do.

Personally I prefer a mix.

• C

If I had to take the real world conditions of my actual north-facing garden into account and you don't count groundcover so we can presume the grass lawn I'd go for feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium).  It self-seeds readily, seems to love the challenging conditions making thick banks of the stuff, and flowers nearly all summer and past the first few frosts.  The bees and the butterflies like it, it's medicinal and has a not unpleasant "good for you" scent when crushed.  There are different cultivars (and naturally occurring wild variations) so you can expect to see everything from the ones that look like miniature daisies to double or more petalled ones to the ones that have no white outer petals and look like little yellow buttons giving a bit of variety.  If I really couldn't have anything else at all I'd choose that.

strawberries.....

• F

Strawberries are invasive, so if you grow them , if your not careful, that will be all you've got.

Edible perennials. There are many of them that are both decorative and practical. You can have trees, herbs, greens, spices, fruit, vegetables and sweeteners that are edible and live year after year.

Several factors should go into such a choice.  Amount if sunlight, soil conditions, growing season, winter conditions, water requirements. So my choice would vary depending on conditions.

• elhigh

Herbs.

There are lots of herbs that are beautiful when they're blooming - and even when they aren't, - and unlike mere annuals they can contribute to the table, making them both decorative and functional.