Anonymous

My job screwed me over?

So I was working a full time job with benefits. I needed dayshift though and while I thought they were going to offer it to me, they were unable to at the time. So I got a new job. The new job offered me a full time position with benefits with the hours I needed. So I put my 2 weeks in and when the time came I started the new place. They told me it would take a week or 2 to fit me into the schedule for full time, which I understood. Then after about a week and a half I get pulled aside and told they just don't have the hours to give me for my availability so I would have to change my availability if I want full time. I was so upset as I have kids and I wouldn't of left my other position had I known this would happen. I explained that to my boss and she just shrugged and said there was nothing she could do. I've gone to HR and was told they'd call me back but essentially until then I'd be off for a full week before I could get another shift unless I was willing to take the other opening(which with my kids wasn't possible with what they were trying to offer me). So I went home and applied to a couple of places just in case. 3 days later I get a call from another place and they offered me a job with the hours I need with higher pay and benefits. On the 4th day my current job called and left a message saying they had good news. Which at this point I'm unsure of what to do. Part of me wants to stay but they screwed me over once already..whose to say they won't again. Any advice?

You work fulltime jobs, make savings, make your dreams come true, then quit and relax. 

Your employer did NOT screw you over.  You quit your job too soon and they had to replace you.  The next time you apply for another job - do NOT quit until you have a 'for sure' start date.  Go for the new job.

• swiftchick_123

I see you didnt read his statement and I am not going to clarify it for you so next time be sure you and the article are on the same page.

Just sue my lawyer and he will give money

It is difficult as it is in personal relationships you can talk things out. However, in business, they are more interested in what is best for the company than talking and some companies use that as an excuse to break their word as a mistake they made and if it affects what they told you the company is more important than the individual and you do get to still work for them. The new job you have a better chance to succeed in starting with a clean slate.

• John

Your switching erratically. They probably want to kidnap your kids.

Stop, take a breather.

With those fancy hours wages and benefits I'd have quickly become suspicious as to what's what.

Its all to pat. Switch to the new company and prepare to get canned.

But don't fall for it. Simply tell them no to everything but what you need.

It'll be tough

Take the other job, they will just screw you again

They didn't intentionally screw you over.  They hired you to be full-time and whatever reason they thought they needed a full-time person changed.   Maybe someone rescinded their notice or their request to reduce their hours.   It happens all the time.

Your current employer is trying to find a solution that works for everyone.   That's NOT "screwing you over".     Since you said you are interested in staying, at least return the phone call and see what they are offering.

I have no clue how you expect to make a decision when you haven't bothered to find out what they're offering.

As you state, they screwed you over once, they might do it again. I'd take the new job, especially since they are giving you higher pay and benefits - in fact, whats to think over. Of course there is a chance the new job will have issues too but right now that seems like the safest, best choice.

• Kelly

I would go with who has better benefits for long term.  This may or may not be where you may the most money and also look at who gives a better work/life balance.ke

Also look at the stability of the company.  They have full time hours now, but will that last?

I left a job a year and half ago (actually they downsized and eliminated my job) and I make less money than my previous job, but I have a much better work/life balance.  I went from working a 24/7/365 hospital environment to working for a school district with M-F and I'm home before 5 everyday.  At the hospital I worked nights/weekends/holidays when I needed to because well hospitals don't close.  I had full benefits there and I do here too, the ones here cost a lot more but well they are better.  I had a 401K with the hospital, here I have a 401k and a pension.  One retiree benefit they offer is medical insurance for retirees ...  most places don't.  

Don't just think of short term gratification, look at long term of what one has more to offer you.

Take the job that fits your schedule...

Your "current" job isnt really a job until it fits what you need.