Diana asked in HealthDental · 4 months ago

Should I take my mom to the dentist ER or doctor ER?

My mom was complaining about a toothache yesterday and half of her face swelled up. She didn't want to go to the doctor but today she's still really swollen and around her eye is red. So I'm not sure where to take her, dentist or doctor?

An abcessed upper can go to the brain and kill you. An abcessed lower can spread to the heart causing endocarditis leading to death so yes imediately to the hospitol

I would take her to a clinic or emergency room and tell them she had an abcessed tooth so they can immediately give her antibiotics.  That what the dentist would do (unless you live where I do).

Take her to the dentist instead because the medical professionals at a hospital are not qualified to fix her dental health problems. 

Call the dentist and see what they say. I doubt the ER can do much for her tooth but she might have a n infection and need antibiotics.

Since this started as a toothache and advanced to swelling, the underlying cause is a tooth issue.  She will need to see a dentist.  An ER doctor can give her antibiotics to take down the swelling, but he is not going to be able di anything about the infected tooth.

The dentist should be able to treat BOTH the tooth that is the cause of the swelling and to give you antibiotics for the swelling.  Or he will refer you to a doctor who can.

I would start with the dentist.  Because until the tooth is dealt with anything the ER does is pointless.  If the dentist feels you need an ER doctor, he will refer you to one.

If you can not get into a dentist, then go to the ER and have them treat the swelling.  Otherwise it will continue to spread.  But you will never get rid of the swelling until the tooth is taken care of.

• Kieth

Hospitals aren't equipped for dental problems.

• Sandy

ER doc because it's an emergency at this point. the ER doc will assess her and get you a referral to a dentist doc, IF that's the problem.

If you can find a dentist to see her today, go with a dentist.  If a dentist is not available today, take her to the ER.  Infection can spread into the bone and eventually into the brain if it is not treated with antibiotics. 

dentist if you can, but she needs to be seen ASAP so doctor if you cant find a dentist today. or go to the ER. 

The dentist can do the emergency care, but if you wait too long the infection could cause cavernous sinus thrombosis and death. We are not first aid in a forum. Get you mom to one emergency care or another. Choose the facility that can treat her the quickest.