REAL asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 2 months ago

What is the weather condition in your place of stay for the last six months.Do you agree that global warming is a fact of life now?

• C

Six months is waaaay too short a period of time to describe climate.  That's just describing weather.  I live near one of the UK's older botanic gardens where they have regular scientific weather records going back to the 1850 and less rigorous records going back almost another hundred years.  That's long enough to talk about climate.

So, having said that, even someone who doesn't believe in anthropogenic climate change has to concede that the climate has changed.  I've said it here and elsewhere numerous times that my local climate has changed markedly over the last 15 - 20 years.  When I first moved to the area I went to the library and get piles of gardening books to figure out what grows here, when to plant, etc.  The oldest books I looked at were from the 1920s and they agreed with books from the 70s and 90s.  Now none of them match the seasons.  It's not just gardeners.  In my pre-recession career I travelled a lot for work and spent most of my time outside.  I talked to A LOT of farmers, foresters, estate managers, and other outdoorsy types and still have contacts.  When farmers take big financial risks and invest in new crop varieties in order to move their planting/harvesting schedules and new machinery specifically to deal with heavy rain now coming at a different time of year you know that the change is real.  They really don't like change for the sake of it.

The biggest changes locally are a shift in seasons giving a longer, warmer autumn, the coldest part of winter comes later and so does spring.  Unfortunately this doesn't fit well with available sunlight (I'm quite far north) so it's resulted in a shorter growing season.  Heavy rain now also coincides with the grain harvest which is about 6 weeks before the heavy rain season used to come.  Nobody who doesn't live in a cellar could claim that there's been no change over the last two decades.

• zipper

YES! The lake I use to skate on no longer freezes over all the way, we once had snow from December to end of March, now it does not last more than three days. So the climate it is a changing!

Pretty much the same as it has been for years.

And no, there is no such thing as global warming.  Schools used to teach an ice age was coming back in the 40's.

It has not gone above freezing in 5 months here. The snow that fell at the end of October is still in my yard. Hurry UP with the global warming! I`m lighting a mountain of old tires on fire today!

Well, since I stayed on a ship, it was cool when we left NY but got warmer as we headed to Texass but cooler as we headed back to NY. Then there was a storm in the north atlantic so we headed down to Bermuda before crossing to Spain so it was warm most of the time with a bit of wind for a few days. Somewhat cool going through the Med but HOT in Red Sea and Gulf of Oman. India and Pakistan were cooler than normal but still warmer than Maine. About the same going back west.

Where I live the summers are getting shorter and winters longer. The climate is changing and getting colder. 

• audrey

We've had a little more rain, but it's been just as cold as ever. I live in southern NC.

• Wilma

I think so. I live in NE Florida we use to get a winter now we don't.

• Horse2 months agoReport

There are also alarmists who are not paid, including Skeptik and Oikoos.  I think they're just a couple of retired guys.  Nice try, tho.

No, I don't bush fires are not global warming