Do you feel Hollywood movies do severe reputational damage to Australians?

Australia has plenty of talented actors but they never let them speak in an Aussie accent. The only one they let speak normally is Rebel Wilson because they want it to be part of her character as an annoying, insufferable, unbearable Aussie. The world is going to think all Australians are morbidly obese idiots. Why can’t they have a James Bond type character with an Aussie accent? I know it’s not very believable but they could give it a shot. 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • patty
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

yes many Australian actors are big in Hollywood so most of them have an American accent. I am not sure if americans have trouble understanding the aussie accent. yes rebel Wilson is one of the rare ones who have the aussie accent

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Whenever you see an Aussie actor in an American film or TV show they are there for comic relief, Americans find the Aussie accent hilarious just as we find the Irish and Scottish funny, imagine Jimeoin or Billy Connolly with an Aussie accent, would anybody be laughing.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

no I do not >> NO 

• Hollyweird is a nasty place! 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • snafu
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There was a film called Australia directed by Baz Luhrmann, starring Nichole Kidman and Hugh Jackman.  It couldn’t be more Australian.  Universally panned.  

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

It was pretty poor, but the accents were fine!

• 2 months ago

That has been going on since Crocodile Dundee (and every other Paul Hogan film ever made)

Babe, Australia, Kenny, Kath and Kim, Rabbit Proof Fence, Chopper, Wolf Creek, The Castle, etc always seem to portray Australian characters as some kind of drunken racist sexist uneducated dysfunctional bogan/doofus/clown/oaf who talk funny or take liberties with historical inaccuracy.

They did have an Aussie James Bond but that was nearly 50 years ago.

At least we can rest assured that Russell Crowe will never embarrass us like that, has he ever made a bad film?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Rebel Wilson?  I can't wait to see that new show where the dogs give her a makeover.  She certainly needs it.

• Wilma
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Nobody likes Aussies

• Australia
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

They like each other.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.