When pulled over for something minor and you provide all the information he asks for, Can a officer demand ID from passenger for no reason?

• A.J.

In the U.S. Court of Appeals case Stufflebeam v. Harris, the court concluded that an officer can request ID from a passenger, but if the officer has no reason to contact the passenger regarding any sort of investigation, the passenger is not required to provide identification.State law can be specific about saying name and address.

There must be reasonable suspicion of a crime, or reasonable need to contact as a witness to a crime. There is no law that a person must carry an ID at all.

If the officer demands it, a person can ask what crime am I a suspect of?

• A.J.

Where is my answer incorrect for a thumbs down? Of course you need to carry a driver's license in driving, but walking the street or riding in a car, there is no law or requirement to produce an ID.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for there not to be a reason. You may not KNOW the reason, and the reason may not even be valid, but there is ALWAYS a reason. "I am a bored jerk" is a reason.

That said, in the US, the passenger isn't required to have ID to show, but the officer can demand they identify themself.

I'm interested pulling you over

• Peter

They can in my country.

• A.J.

true, not usa

• Bruce

They cannot demand ID from anyone without a valid reason.  The burden of proof required to demand an ID is “reasonable suspicion”.  That applies to any police contact, not just traffic stops. 

If they ask, there is usually a reason.

• Brad Hinkle2 months agoReport

Yeah, You are right, I would say that usually there probably is, But I asked if they could for no reason.

Yes, they can require ID from every occupant of the vehicle.

• Brad Hinkle2 months agoReport

So if I’m a DD for someone and they don’t have an ID on them, They lost it or whatever, The officer can pull them out of the car question them for a half an hour, Then take them to jail for a PI?

There was a golf course in Brasil they told ke not to say the movie which is going to be seen and also I've seen an eclipse of sun and moon but happened the government and told me they want to let me seen a movie which is a secret of state I said yes then I saw the movie The. Man Who Would Be King by Sean Connery that is the movie you imagine or go to Thailand or go straight to Argentina or that is the way ot is go to Thailand and be a viking coming from the east to America that the issue about taking Germanic toni thousend squaters travelled to. Thailand and I never knew what happened to them but one day cake the police ajd make me go back to Argentina the movie The Man Who Would Be King he resulted to be a fake king by knowing his blood was not blue was red and thrown to the abyss and that is the story of the traveller.

For very good reason - the passenger is a witness, so they must get the person's ID & details.

• A.J.

Witness to what? And passengers don't need to carry an ID.

• David

Yes, if the officer suspects something unlawful.

• A.J.

Not god enough. Reasonable suspicion of a crime by passengers.