cop shooting dog and you shooting a police k-9?

why is it ok for a cop to shoot a home-owner dog if he fears for his safety but its not ok for you to shoot and kill a k-9 dog if he is attacking you?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

Because they can assume you are a threat to them and if your dog is a threat, they can unfortunately, use it as 'self defense'.  

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

IDk, But in my experience, Kevin K____  called in said he was :"suicidal", " cops  showed, released dog. As he was Walking Away, dog Bit his Arm! Was holding On !

So Don't Anyone say they "don't attack" or "not randomly". Kevin shook the dog off, His Right, but Still  got charged with: "assaulting an officer". He got it dropped after  he checked police reports hat the the dog back in service an hour later.

this scenario is what started the Ruby  Ridge mess. FBI  agents framed Randy Weaver,  sneaked on his property, shot his son's  dog. His 14 yo son pointed a .22 at two Unidentified men with guns; they Shot Him. Lon Horiuci shot  Thru a Closed door at Walker, Killing his pregnant wife. (totally against P &P) Horiuci   was :"hidden" by "diplomatic immunity" ; which does Not apply. 

in some dognapping cases; the dog was ruled member of family; so felony kidnapping charges stuck. 

• 4 months ago

I think the biggest difference here

A cop who enters a home (for whatever reason) and is attacked  for merely doing his or her job, is justified in killing the dog in self-defense. A K-9 is heavily trained, and they will not just go around attacking people for the sake of it, they are trained to attack people who are running from the cops and aren't complying. So, when a K-9 is killed for doing its job, its not acceptable.

• james
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

A K9 cost the cops a great deal of there money. That expense leaves less money for other things they think they need.  Were as if they shoot your dog it is at your expence & your problem. & the cops could care less about you or your dog. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

The K9 IS NOT attacking you. It is DETAINING you and your resistance is a greater threat to you than the K9's actions.

• 4 months ago

Woof woof woof woof woof woof

• Eva
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

The k-9 is a trained police officer and does not randomly attack. If the k-9 has been sent to bring you down, there is a bona fide reason. Killing or attacking a k-9 brings the same penalty as if it were a human police officer.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

cause the police dont like their dogs getting shot at

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

If you pull a gun and shoot my K9 partner. I will use deadly force to stop you, period.

• 4 months ago

I think it's the same reason a cop can shoot a person if he fears for his safety but you can't shoot a cop if he's attacking you. We give deference to the police, and their dogs, to maintain the peace and only "attack" people who are disturbing it.

Some cops may abuse that deference, but on the whole they generally only "attack" when provoked.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.